TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Manual Transmission Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual Transmission Oil
    Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 3:13pm

For a good manual transmission oil I finally found one that meets older vehicle requirements – approx 1989 and prior calling for GL-3 or GL-4 rating. It’s Shell Spirax S4 TXM, there may be others. $30 for 5 liters at TSC in Canada.

The 10W30 SAE crankcase viscosity rating is equivalent to a 75W85 SAE gear rating.

The GL rating is for gear pressure, GL-5 being what is in use today but it has it’s problems in older gearboxes.

- If it states GL-4 and GL-5 it is likely GL-5.

- GL-5 additives i.e. sulphur compounds are not yellow metal (brass/bronze) friendly. At the levels in GL-5 they are corrosive to these metals. In older transmissions these are the syncros and possibly some bushings.

- GL-5 will also pit older cast gears (believe it’s the phosphorus).

- Some GL-5 oil manufacturers state all metal friendly, don’t know what they are adding but GL-5 has twice the additives of GL-4.

Substitutes like diesel motor oil are high in detergent that leaves particles in suspension. This is not good for a splash lubrication gearbox.

As for differentials the GL-5 rating is fine unless there have yellow metals in them.

Been looking for a while to find something on the shelf that is just GL-4.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 3:31pm
Good to know.  I had to resort to this stuff to meet the Mopar M.S. 9417 requirements for my Neon transaxle.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/?code=MTFQT-EA
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 11:37pm
i tried different oils in my rebuilt T96 and then T14. i could not honestly tell the difference between 90 weight and 20W50 engine oil. AMC even recommended straight 30 weight as a choice.

in 2017 all good oils so vastly exceed the old ones it almost doesnt matter.

20w-50 is plentiful.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 11:28am
Yes 20w-50 engine oil which would be equivalent in viscosity to 75w-90 is plentiful.  It is probably minimum GL-3 rating if you buy a good brand. It does not have the service life (made to be changed more often then a gear oil) and does have detergents that keep particulate in circulation which will over time wear bearings faster.
Again your vehicle and your choice, just trying to provide a good off the shelf option that meets or exceeds the original manufacturer specification.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

Yes 20w-50 engine oil which would be equivalent in viscosity to 75w-90 is plentiful.  It is probably minimum GL-3 rating if you buy a good brand. It does not have the service life (made to be changed more often then a gear oil) and does have detergents that keep particulate in circulation which will over time wear bearings faster.
Again your vehicle and your choice, just trying to provide a good off the shelf option that meets or exceeds the original manufacturer specification.

Thanks for the recomendations and starting this thread!

What do you think about Straight non detergent 30 weight?

It wouldn't have the same anti-wear properties of a true gear oil though (like any engine oil)
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 3:35pm
well,fwiw, I run redline shockproof heavy....but I may try light next season

67 american 290/4speed
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 5:23pm
jpnjim,
A straight SAE 30 non detergent is better then a a detergent motor oil. Just If you can buy it from a known supplier. Many "brands" are recycled motor oil and I would not trust a GL or pressure rating unless it states it on the bottle.
tomslik,
Redline does make good products and states the GL rating but it does not "normally" ship to Canada and it costs 3 to 4 times the Shell product before shipping. Go for it if living in the US.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 9:35pm

... does have detergents that keep particulate in circulation which will over time wear bearings faster.

oh right -- the TSM likely assumes non-detergent. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 9:52pm
Ok I checked with an old time parts store here in town today and they have GL-4 Sta-Lube on the shelf so it is still available from Sta-lube.   It meets Gl4 but does not meet Gl5.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 5:12pm

Yes 20w-50 engine oil which would be equivalent in viscosity to 75w-90...

How does that work?

Interesting point about the detergents. Some people prefer engine oil because they think it flows more readily into the bearings when cold. Never heard any thoughts about detergents. Seems to me a magnetic drain plug would be a good thing.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic