TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

LED bulbs for 69 AMX GAUGES?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED bulbs for 69 AMX GAUGES?
    Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 8:49am
Checked Ebay, and see LED bulbs offered to replace dash bulbs. Anyone switched to LED bulbs in the gauge cluster, and if so, which ones work?
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 8:55am
I tried it. Took them out because I didn't like the color. I bought inverted LEDs from somewhere like Superbright LEDs, which spread the light to the sides. Another thing is that they are either on or off, not dimable.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 10:43pm
That's odd - mine are dimmable and came from superbrightLEDs. I used the in the cluster of my Eagle and LOVE THEM and will never ever go back. My 73 will eventually be all LED as well. 
The color is a slight bluish hint - likely due to the car itself as I put in plain LEDs. I had to try two different numbers to get enough light but I'm really happy with them. 
They can be installed EITHER WAY and are definitely dimmable. I can turn the light switch like normal and dim them. 

By the way, do not use LED in the ALT light! That bulb is actually part of the charging system.......

PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 6:14pm
Quote By the way, do not use LED in the ALT light! That bulb is actually part of the charging system.

Great tip, thanks!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

That's odd - mine are dimmable and came from superbrightLEDs. I used the in the cluster of my Eagle and LOVE THEM and will never ever go back. My 73 will eventually be all LED as well. 
The color is a slight bluish hint - likely due to the car itself as I put in plain LEDs. I had to try two different numbers to get enough light but I'm really happy with them. 
They can be installed EITHER WAY and are definitely dimmable. I can turn the light switch like normal and dim them. 

By the way, do not use LED in the ALT light! That bulb is actually part of the charging system.......

Bill, do you remember the number of the ones you liked? 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 7:47pm
I can find out - I ordered a certain number of each. The ones I have left are not the ones,  the ones that aren't in the envelope are what I used in the dash - I'll compare to my invoice.  Wow, hope that makes sense to someone. If so, you can explain it to me.

Anyway I love 'em and will do the same for my 73 Javelin. The look is really nice in that little Eagle.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 9:39pm
some of the mini bayonet base LED lamps have the tall lens that focuses light up into a spot, not so good for instrument panels. you can however file the tip of the "bulb" flat, just don't go down so fart that you hit the microscopic wire from the base onto the top of the chip inside. i had a fistful of the bulb type in the junkbox and this made 'em usable. you can "frost" them with 180 grit paper too.

dimmable vs. non, many of these "LED lamps" are really a bunch of LEDs in series with a small resistor. each LED chip has a fixed voltage drop of 1.4 to 3V depending on the color, so a bright blue LED with two chips inside simply goes out when the voltage drops too low.

a single LED (chip) will dim down to 1.4V or whatever voltage that color is. white LEDs require up to 4V to turn 'em on.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 9:55pm
A lot of LED's are being designed specifically for the automotive market and are designed with a resistor built in that makes them act like bulbs, so you can dim them.

Just look for ones that specifically state that they either have a built-in resistor or are designed to dim per automotive use.

I've used the 5 SMD green ones in lots of my cars and plan to do my Javelin next. They do dim and they work great.  Here's my '87 Daytona cluster that used to have dark spots when using plain bulbs:

Edited by Fluffy73 - Dec/08/2017 at 9:58pm
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic