TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

can a t-14 trans replace a t-96

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 3:18am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

oh wait! NOT A JEEP/TRUCK T14! There is an AMC delivered, AMC outfit, T14 trans with traditional side shifter.

It's so weird that you even have this. The tail housing looks different than what I found, of course but so does that bell. I'm guessing it's because this was a version with the starter on the driver side? Did they change the bells for this transmission JUST because of the starter?
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 7:32am
I have a T14 that has the side shifter. It came out of a 1972 Gremlin with the V8.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 6:26pm
I am not sure what transmission came out of my 66 American 232 car, but I think I can find it. You can have it if you want to pick it up. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 6:28pm
The truck T-14 has a different gear ratios than the T-14 made for the car.

The car T-14 has 2.64 1st gear and 1.61 2nd,  that's not much different from a 69 T-96, 2.61 1st and 1.63 2nd.

I had a t-14 in my 69 American with a 232,  it didn't seem to me to have any wide gap between the gears.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

oh wait! NOT A JEEP/TRUCK T14! There is an AMC delivered, AMC outfit, T14 trans with traditional side shifter.

It's so weird that you even have this. The tail housing looks different than what I found, of course but so does that bell. I'm guessing it's because this was a version with the starter on the driver side? Did they change the bells for this transmission JUST because of the starter?

that's a 68? i think AMC passenger car T14, i think i got from pacerman (Joe). the bellhousing is from a 1963 Rambler American. so the starter is on the drivers side. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

The truck T-14 has a different gear ratios than the T-14 made for the car.

The car T-14 has 2.64 1st gear and 1.61 2nd,  that's not much different from a 69 T-96, 2.61 1st and 1.63 2nd.

I had a t-14 in my 69 American with a 232,  it didn't seem to me to have any wide gap between the gears.

i admit i did google the ratios, but it was in fact a bear to drive. the car had a T96 with OD and a 3.77 (i think?) "big nut" axle. i swapped in the T14 and a Mustang 2.73 axle. top gear was a good match. but the engine didn't have the torque to pull 2nd for higher RPM than was reasonable.

the T96+OD and that axle was a great setup for that engine and car. the T5 is of course much better.

but now you;'ve got me curious, i will go out and put it in 2nd and turn shafts and figure out what gears are in there.

i'm wrong all the time.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 10:00pm
I think the truck T-14 has a over 3.00 1st,  or like 3.10,  but the same 1.61 2nd gear.  That would be a pretty big gap between 1st and 2nd.

If you had a T-96 with the twin-stick OD, it had different 2nd gear ratios than the normal T-96.

My T-14 had a overdrive,  a special order car,  I've never seen, or heard of another like it.  I'm just assuming it's gear ratois was the same as the other car T-14s.  
A website devoted to Borg Warner OD's states BW never put their OD on a full sychro 3 speed,  but I had a sycho 1st gear,  and it was a T-14, because I had it out of the car once in that 18 years to replace the clutch.   I did it myself,  I saw the T-14 markings on the transmission,  I just don't remember the particular model # of the T-14.
 I drove it for 18 years,  if it did have a wide gap between 1st and 2nd, I either never noticed, or got used to it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 10:45pm
On my T14, I felt 1st gear was too high, and 2nd was too low. This was in my 1972 Gremlin. My 1974 Gremlin also has A T14. But the 74 has 2.73 gears whereas the 72 has 3.54s... I guess the 2.73s make a somewhat difference...
LJF-Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJF-Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 5:32am
Hi, easy swap, just did it. The T-14 is twice the tranny the T-96 ever hoped to be. My T-14 came from 1971 Hornet. You will need a longer drive shaft made as the length of tail housing is actually shorter. Also MAKE SURE YOU HAVE a shallow bell housing to accept the 6.5” T-14 input shaft. Pilot, clutch plate, splines are the same. The speedo drive gear is different. Original was 7 tooth, the T-14 was 8 tooth. Got a 20 tooth “driven gear” and that will suffice for a 3:08 or 3:15 rear end. Use a 23 tooth for a 3:54 rear end. My little American has a floor shift……. Getting the original column shift rods to function properly may be a moderate challenge. Drove the car for the first time yesterday and WOW !!! I can shift into first without coming to a complete stop!!! 👍 message me if you need more details…….
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 6:01am
Wow, old thread! Still good info -- I went back and read through it. One point -- the OD trannys all had the same ratios as the non-OD trannys. The one exception (I know of) being the Twin-Stick three speed, which had a big gap between 2nd and 3rd so 2nd could effectively be used with OD -- withoutthe gap 2+OD is about the same as 3rd). OD models usually have a lower rear axle ratio then non-OD. In effect you get a lower first gear AND a slightly higher high gear (3rd + OD).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic