TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 AMX Instrument Panel Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 AMX Instrument Panel Lights
    Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 7:32pm
Recently, I put a set of LED lights to Light my Instrument Panel. After I put it all together, I noticed that the Brightness was not that great. I can barely see my Temp and Oil Gauge in first slot and only slightly better on Other two Displays. Should I go Back to Regular Bulbs or Did I do something wrong? The flexible Circuit Board is new. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Allan Pannizzo
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 10:59pm
there are different brightness LEDs and bulbs both. gotta match them up when you buy them. usually Candlepower or Candelas (MCD) or some such...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

apannizzo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 10:21am
Can someone recommend the Best lights to use? I only want to take apart one more time if Possible!
Allan Pannizzo
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 10:34am
The best is multi led array. So light emits from all sides and on top.

Here is a picture of what is best.

If you want to dim them... you can use an adjustable voltage to frequency converter to control them. Though you would need some electronics knowledge to wire and set it up.

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/01/2017 at 10:38am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
apannizzo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 3:30pm
Hey Dude,

Those look Great! Do you happen to know the manufacturer or part number I need to order?
Thanks!
Allan Pannizzo
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 4:04pm
Here is one seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pieces-20SMD-T10-1206-Dome-Index-Car-LED-Lamp-Bulbs-Wedge-White-Light-DC12V/232168918361?hash=item360e588d59:g:tacAAOSw8gVX~0CH&vxp=mtr

And a US seller with the ones I have They use the larger LED segments, and are very bright. Thus he idea of using a voltage to frequency converter to drive the LED lights with pulses, to keep them white no matter how dim you make them. Resistors make them bluish as they are under driven by current.

Here is one seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pieces-20SMD-T10-1206-Dome-Index-Car-LED-Lamp-Bulbs-Wedge-White-Light-DC12V/232168918361?hash=item360e588d59:g:tacAAOSw8gVX~0CH&vxp=mtr

And a US seller with the ones I have They use the larger LED segments, and are very bright. Thus he idea of using a voltage to frequency converter to drive the LED lights with pulses, to keep them white no matter how dim you make them. Resistors make them bluish as they are under driven by current.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-White-SMD-5-LED-12v-T10-Wedge-Light-Bulb-Interior-Instrument-Panel-Gauge/301085945013?hash=item461a1eecb5:g:M3UAAOSwDN1US-sS&vxp=mtr

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 6:51pm
Be sure to order GREEN ones if you want to retain that AMC green dash glow.
The bright white ones are so bright, they over-power the green diffusers in the dash cluster and will actually make your cluster light up bright white!!
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 7:38pm
You might try to bypass the rheostat to see if they brighten up first. Just use a jumper wire to feed that circuit 12v and see if they get brighter. The ones I have don't look real bright either until you're driving at night. Then I wouldn't want them any brighter so I like them the way they are.
Those multi directionals might not fit behind the green bubble in the cluster. Check the dimensions before you buy them.
Fluffy's right. Get green if you want to keep that color. I put blue in mine because I wanted blue instead of green. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

You might try to bypass the rheostat to see if they brighten up first. Just use a jumper wire to feed that circuit 12v and see if they get brighter. The ones I have don't look real bright either until you're driving at night. Then I wouldn't want them any brighter so I like them the way they are.
Those multi directionals might not fit behind the green bubble in the cluster. Check the dimensions before you buy them.
Fluffy's right. Get green if you want to keep that color. I put blue in mine because I wanted blue instead of green. 

The ones I listed do, as il am using the large single square led multi directional instead of quad mini.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
apannizzo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 8:03pm
Well I ordered the ones Dude said and I got the white ones. Hopefully they won’t be too bright but I think the Green will come through, I Hope!!
Allan Pannizzo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic