TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC DUI Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

That burred edge on the bottom flange area is crappy/cheap machining. I wouldn't trust either surface to hold. Just looking at the machine finish I would bet it's not T6 or any good quality aluminum.
Do yourself a favor, return it to Summit and spend a little more on a good product.

From what is see It's a cast body machined to look billet. Notice the cast line at the square shaped base just below the top of the distributor.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Y.Lachapelle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 7:43am
AMC RICK 401,

I spoke to performance distributors about this and they seem to state that they are all machined that way. I told them I would send them a picture comparing the DUI dizzy with the original to show them the difference. I would really help my case though if you could please send me or post a picture of yours for comparison. Thanks

Edited by Y.Lachapelle - Jan/19/2018 at 7:52am
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 8:36am
You don't need a bunch of pictures from members. Just send them to the Summit site to look at the images of their competitors distributors.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/distributors/make/american-motors/engine-size/5-9l-360/engine-family/amc-v8
They all look like the older one you have in your picture and the larger clamping shoulder.
If your going to stick to this product then spread the fingers of the hold down clamp and use the outside shoulder as clamping there will have better resistance to movement.
Myself, return and replace with a better product.
harry401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 2:56pm
That is a machining defect. I have a DUI and it is machined straight down to the flange. Send it back to Summit for a replacement. My DUI has served faithfully for 15 years and is now in the trunk as a spare in case the CD ignition fails. Great distributor IMO
AMEX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 7:52pm
I have the same issue with my DUI (Performance Distributor) HEI distributor. Spreading the fingers doesn't work - hits the timing case.
Did you find an answer? 
 I hope It's a manufacturing defect, but I'm guessing its a poorly machined knockoff.

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 11:09am
I agree with Lyle and others. Return that thing. Fabulous looking engine. I wouldn't mar it with junk. If the dimensioning is off, you could wreck your work, internally.

Hey, those dist. clamps are tough hard metal, eh? If I recall.
79amxv8 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 8:24pm
I have had my dui distributer for 10-15 years with no issues except module going bad. I don't know if mine has that lip on it or not. I did have to put a little weld on the bottom of the hold down so it would clamp a little tighter.
rell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 5:30pm
I have a brand new one and it has the same two different diameter flanges.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 10:25pm
Hi, just fyi, DUI, (Davis Unified Ignition) started sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. i purchased one of their first line of AMC 6 cyl distributors for my 82 Eagle in 2000. After a slight remake, (Shaft was too long), it ran in my 82 Eagle flawlessly for over 15 years, daily driving, didn't touch it, din't even replace cap/rotor. It outlasted the car. In 2016, I sent it back to DUI for a "freshening". for about $90, they cleaned/tested/new cap/rotor/ etc. Sent it back to me. Thing wouldn't run AT ALL. Turns out they sent me a cap with a defective, ie, too short "button", so got a new cap, and that same distributor is now working well in my new build, a highly modified 77 258.
So, what changed? Well, Mr. Davis retired, and sold the company, so, they are no longer the company they once were. i believe they are no longer what they claim to be. Don't know who the new owners are, but, they are not Mr. Davis. 
Caveat Emptor
gz
george z
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 4:59am
Well, as I stated in my earlier thread, and will simplify... The HEI distributors, being done for AMC, are based two types mid 70' Cad and unknown Chevy block unit. The long neck Cad has an odd shaped hold down flange, which seems to be doubled by a step on top. If it is not machined down enough, it will get in the way.

Oddly enough the stepped flange really does not need to be done for both engines, just a bit over kill as the distributor is stout on its own.

One thing I do like that is built in to the long shaft HEI, is as time goes on, wear in the bushing is not great enough to effect stability, as in shaft wobble. The extra length keeps the shaft true to rotation for a greater run time, over the shorter shaft. you can probably get 200k before a shaft bushing replacement is needed.

And yes, the seem to be turned down castings for Cad distributors. Very obvious, as the bodies are thick enough to machine all the way up to the bottom of the head.

Edited by 304-dude - Oct/13/2018 at 5:03am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic