TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX emergency brake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX emergency brake
    Posted: Nov/20/2017 at 8:03pm
Got a new grommet for the release arm to hold the spring. How do I get the arm off to install the grommet. It appears there is a clip behind it, do I have to pull the assembly to do this?  

Edited by rodhhrod - Nov/20/2017 at 9:26pm
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 10:14am
The parking brake release rod is 'L' shaped and held by the clip. Remove the black plastic knob, remove the clip and pull the rod and spring out. The grommet pushes in from the front and retains the spring.
Mike
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 10:47am
The only clip I see is on the back side, I would have to unmounts the whole mechanism and hopefully get to it. I guess???  
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 12:53pm
I had everything out on a bench. I totally gutted the car for the restoration. IIRC, the clip is between the parking brake mechanism and the vent panel. Very little room to work.
Mike
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 2:05pm
Yep, might have to pull it. Or leave it the way it is, been that way for 30 plus years. LOLLOLLOL
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 6:14pm
OK, cheap fix if one is selling: take the knob off and pull any remnants of the grommet out of the housing. The spring will want to stick through the hole of the metal bracket. Slightly spread a cotter pin and use it to hold the spring to the back of the bracket. This hurts me; but put the grommet over the rod and hammer it into the bracket using a metal tube as a drift. The plastic grommet will suffer greatly as it is forced into the bracket without adequate clearance. If one is lucky it will pop in; if not the grommet is toast because the rod has not been removed.
Mike
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 9:37pm
I thought the big end grommet goes to the spring?  Small end facing the handle.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 11:54am
Correct! My cheap fix is only if getting rid of the car and to have the P-brake operating. "Taillight Guarantee".
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic