TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - R4B edelbrock intake identif, what are they worth?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R4B edelbrock intake identif, what are they worth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppajules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 12:40am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

If you are unsure what a valve spring is, ask a friend who has more experience in these things than it appears that you have.

ouch.
1974 AMC Javelin
360 cu. in.
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm carb
ramblerman390 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerman390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 6:32am

Originally posted by ramblerman390 ramblerman390 wrote:

were do i found those number at???? driver head or pass. side?? am asumming you want the casting numbers?
They are cylinder heads and can go on either side so the casting number is on each head on every engine ever made.

As already stated, they are in between the valve springs. If you are unsure what a valve spring is, ask a friend who has more experience in these things than it appears that you have.

really!!!!!!!!!!!!! i found it funny as heck that there are people out there that has nothing else better to do with there life but to hide behind a computer and reply to forums all day how funny is that . I guess that is what real man is suppose to do talk dung behind a computer. NICE. And they only reason why i ask a lot of question is because am not familiar with AMC motors! i never play with them so I.  
want to go fast... get an AMC!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 6:32am
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I can see oil on that intake

Will someone give this poor fellow a couple beers?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 6:39am
Sir - pull either of the valve covers and take a trouble light and you'll see the numbers.
The casting numbers can tell us what years and sizes the heads were used on. I do agree, the bolts although a bit dirty and not totally clear do appear to be higher than the others.
A chevy person may not know about the differences in the pre-70 engines and the 1970+ engines, even though the 390 covered 69 and 70, there were differences.
You can crawl under the beast and shine a light up between the block and the motor mounts and see the engine size cast into the block where the motor mount brackets bolt up to the block.
Large enough letters it should be pretty clear. If it's a 390, that's the only engine that could be 68/69 OR 70, other sizes, such as 360, 343, etc. will be one or the other.
1970 was sort of a transition year - and the 1970 390 is a ONE YEAR ONLY engine. Although parts interchange, there were differences - intake is one, they physically fit, but the center holes got moved. The 1970 block deck height is different than the 69 390, heads went to a "dog leg" exhaust port and different exhaust manifolds, etc.

Here's an example of an AMC casting number on a head:

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 10:35am
Originally posted by poppajules poppajules wrote:

If you are unsure what a valve spring is, ask a friend who has more experience in these things than it appears that you have.

ouch.
No ouch at all.  You don't know what you don't know. 

If someone is new to AMCs or engines in general then suggesting to ask a friend who has more experience is good advice.  I wish a hundred times over I had just asked for some help in the past which would have enabled me to avoid the mistakes that we all make when first figuring all this stuff out.  NONE OF US were born with knowledge about this stuff and need to learn it and what better way to learn than from someone with more experience?

When a person asks which head the number is on, it is clear that he is new to this stuff as heads are not side specific that I have ever seen so they always have the same number on them on any older engine that I have ever worked on or taken apart.

To save time and mistakes, having help from someone with more knowledge or experience  is a good thing.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 10:37am
He's a small block chevy guy helping an AMCer with a build.
Not new to engines, just new to casting numbers being under the valve covers on heads meaning something. A bit different than Chebbie.........
poppajules View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppajules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 12:10pm
just the way it came off. ill be honest, i didnt know where the numbers were. trust me, weve all seen my thread and the things that are being learned over in that department.
1974 AMC Javelin
360 cu. in.
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm carb
ramblerman390 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerman390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 12:34pm
You guys thanks again for the information. Again Iam no AMC expert. But if i can remember correctly I do remember reading somewhere that AMC had a "valve cover id" tag in which it will give you the basic information of your power plant. When AMX39068 told me about the internal casting number, I didnt know were to find it. Such as chevy were they use external marking such as the famous "double hump" heads.  Pontiac motor division also use external casting, located in the center of the exhaust port marking such as "670",7k3 or the "093." AMX39068 I also know that it does matter which head goes on which side when building a chevy. Put the wrong head on the wrong side and you will throw off you alt,p.s.and a.c. braket. Same goes for a pontiac, the head with the heater hose outlet can only go on the passage side. AMX39068 I am taking your advice and seeking help only on amc, that is way I became a member on this forum. Again am NO AMC EXPERT. people around my age dont even know what a amc, amx, javelin, or rambler even look like. 
want to go fast... get an AMC!
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 12:43pm
Yes, the right (passenger) side valve cover should have a metal tag on it to identify build date and engine.  Check out Tom Benvie's post on how to decode the tag.

Since the tag is easily removed or valve covers swapped between engines, it's not really a definitive method to identify the engine. Casting numbers and the displacement cast into the block are better ways to identify your parts.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 12:48pm
None of us started as experts and we all still have a lot to learn.  My response was not meant to be critical rather it was a reflection of past mistakes that I made that someone with more knowledge and experience would have known better to avoid altogether.  Billd's picture prety much said it all and showed you what to look for.

The problem with going by the valve cover tag is it is only accurate if it is original which with AMC interchangability may not be the case.  Lots of people switched from painted to chrome valve covers but never changed the tag so be on the lookout for that change as well.

On the bright side, all AMC engines pretty much operate the same so learn one and you'll know them all.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic