TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 71+ Javelin drum spindles, do they interchange?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71+ Javelin drum spindles, do they interchange?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71+ Javelin drum spindles, do they interchange?
    Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 11:11pm
I'm looking for a set of 71+ Javelin Drum brake spindles. Are these unique to Javelins or do they interchange with other models? I do not know the part #. I'm guessing they are not the same as 68 AMX Disc Brake spindles..
I need the spindles for the Mustang 13" disc brake upgrade.
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 7:09pm
If they're the same ones That a drum '73 javelins use I could trade you if you have the Regular disk brake ones. My 73 has drums on the front I'm want to go to a stock disk set up.
ttrrogg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrrogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2017 at 7:08am
yes the spindles are same 4 bolt mounting from 68 to 83 AMC cars,be it drums or disc. I have used 83 concord front disc on my one of my70 javelin and 73 javelin disc on another 70 javelin.
1970 Big Bad Blue javelin sst
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 12:14am
i'm fairly sure every AMC made has the same spindle mounting pattern. i know in later (80's?) years there are "big bearing" hubs which i assume means spindles too. hornets, classics, pre-64 americans, spindles all interchange...

... except there are different *heights* of spindles (sitting on the table), within those earlier A2/A6 bearing spindles. drum and disc both. the base bolt bosses are different heights. you could put spacers under short ones, if you are so inclined (i am not).

they all "work" but the height controls brake assembly in/out location (clearance) and the scrub center would shift about, but the height differences are small enough you can probably ignore that (and if you put on non-stock wheels without being sure of the "king pin angle" and scrub area, its likely moot anyhoo)

(those four spindle bolts, that hold the spindles, steering arm etc to the knuckle are the one place on the chassis where i use AN aircraft hardware, by the book, to the thread, properly sized and installed. the stock fasteners were surely up to the task -- 50 years ago. i don't trust 'em. nor do i trust hardware store grade 8's there. ARP or other quality vendor would probably be OK, but i just got AN hardware from Pegasus)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 9:11am
Yep tomj said that real nice; last time I swapped from drums to disc I had to swap the spindles too because the drum spindles were too 'short' = yes the four bolt mount pattern all the same with fantastic interchangeability but there are two different spindle 'stick out' lengths (drum spindle is shorter)

+ excellent warning about concern for the bolts; they are a critical bolt and nut combination (the nut should also be same specs as the bolt -don't just put any old hardware store nut on there!)

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/faq.htm

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 9:40am
newbie question.... what donor car gives you the biggest rotor and bearings that is a bolt on? For a 71-72 Javelin. 
Thanks Brad 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic