TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Motorola question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorola question
    Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 12:25pm
I've noticed that my old alternator hasn't been able to keep my battery charged layely, on my 73 v8 gremlin. my aftermarket volt gauge used to be up around 14v with the engine running and no electric accessories on. Now it barely reaches 12v. I have a spare alternator that I bought from Napa and put in my 74 hornet parts car before I junked it. I was putting it in the gremlin and noticed that the old alternator has what look like 2 capacitors? And the alternator from the hornet only has 1. What are these things and do I need 2 of them? I know this is a newb question but I have little experience with these older alternators wit external regulators.
AMCya!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 12:52pm
AMC added those after they realized the service techs were disconnecting battery powered timing lights, etc. and blowing the electronics. The caps prevented this. 
The second may be for radio noise suppression. 
In either case they have NO IMPACT AT ALL on charging and are optional in most cases..... 
I have the service bulletin that tells about the cap added due to damage caused during service, and it was added about 1973 as I recall.
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 2:09pm
I switched to a single wire, internal regulator and never looked back! 
Gremmy Power!!!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Kensey Kensey wrote:

I switched to a single wire, internal regulator and never looked back! 

Don't get us started on THAT topic......... if you do some research on this forum regarding that you'll see why.  You made a personal decision but not necessarily a better one nor a necessary one.  (I hope it wasn't a 10si)

(If anyone is concerned about having a regulator on the inner fender and those wires running to the alternator, I can solve that very easily without any bracket swaps, etc. as I have the provisions to make a Motorola with an alternator-mounted regulator - single wire from the harness to the alternator. For that matter I can build up almost anything.)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by tgoddardamc tgoddardamc wrote:

I know this is a newb question but I have little experience with these older alternators wit external regulators.

That isn't a rare question at all - not many like to get into the details of electrical systems, especially charging systems like I've done.  Better to ask than not and mess things up. No one is going to ridicule you for that question. 
The external regulators are simple and actually do the same as internal. 
For Motorola, we have a lot of posts here with some details, diagrams, etc. but for quick study - 
Green is regulator to field - the brushes. That's the same on all Motorola used by AMC.
Black is regulator ground to alternator. For your vehicles, 71 and later, it goes to the tab next to the brushes, on that metal plate. 1970 and prior it went to a stud to the right of the brushes.
Orange goes to aux or regulator terminal on the alternator - to the left of the brushes if held with brushes at the top. Often there's a spade connector on a stud, some older cars had a push-on connector that went right onto the stud. 
Yellow goes to ignition - depending on the car, and year, that yellow may connect to the ign feed at different locations in the harness. 

Large red wire to the alternator is always output.
tgoddardamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 11:30pm
Thanks for the responses! The problem actually turned out to be a cut wire (the yellow one from the ignition switch to the regulator). I ended up putting the new alternator in anyways, since it's the 55 amp and I've added a full set of gauges and an HEI distributor. The original was the 37 amp version.
AMCya!
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 7:50am
Was an easy swap. Very minor alteration to the alternator mount and it fit right in. No issues what so ever! 

I was chasing electrical charging "Gremlins" for months. No one could figure it out, myself included. Made the swap, been running great ever since. 

Necessary, for me absolutely. 
Gremmy Power!!!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 9:35pm
Kensey you apparently don't have any decent auto techs or auto electric people in your area that know simple charging systems - as these are SIMPLE. I've not found a charging system yet I wasn't able to resolve, including foreign vehicles.
I won't rehash all that's been discussed about the so-called single wire systems in here over the last ten years........ just that it's what gets done when there's bad info, no info/lack of info or facts. 
You've had luck, ok, fine - but we don't recommend them, not on cars, and not for the reasons too many people make such changes. 

For tgoddardamc - here's a link to the bulletin I mentioned - it has the picture showing what AMC did as far as that capacitor.....
I scanned and uploaded the bulletin tonight so it can be seen by others and for future reference. I have hundreds and maybe one of these days a few more will be added. 

http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic90896_post806036.html#806036
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic