TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Weak-Super Slow Vacuum Wipers on a 68 Rebel 550
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Weak-Super Slow Vacuum Wipers on a 68 Rebel 550

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 2:54pm
Amazing Racoon!!, i was thinking in use this simple fuel pump and adapt-mod a electric wipers in someway.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 3:31pm
Electric wiper motors run in one direction, vacuum reciprocate, so the mechanism in the cowl is different. With some fabrication, a Jeep motor can be made to work.
The wipers typically use manifold vacuum and when that is low, the fuel pump vacuum section helps out. You can test the wiper motor with straight manifold vacuum. They should work unless the engine is under load, when vacuum is low. You could get a vacuum ball for a  few bucks at a junk yard, use a vacuum check valve, and run them off manifold vacuum. The reserve in the vacuum ball will get you past a short low vacuum time.
Wiper motors tend to have their grease get thick and then the motor gets tired.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
TigreContento View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 4:23pm
Your help is so much appreciated dear friend !Clap
compubert View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote compubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 10:43am
There are electric vacuum pumps too that will provide vacuum for devices that need it... :-)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H2.Xelectric+vacu.TRS0&_nkw=electric+vacuum+pump&_sacat=6028

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 2:00pm
Hey, i  had no idea that they existed!
Thank you, i will go for it.

amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 9:59pm
You have the good rebuildable fuel pump just get it rebuilt!
Same with the wiper motor.

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 2:27am
Thank you Ron do you have any idea where i can do this?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 10:18pm
peter stathes does a good job...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 7:19pm
What I did on my 64 Classic was install a air canister from a newer (late 60's- mid 80's) under the passenger fender, thenbran a line from it to wiper motor. This gives that extra reserve of air for when accelerating. I don't drive the car tho. Just sits in my garage
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2017 at 6:31am
A large vacuum storage canister will help, but only works for 30 seconds or so under acceleration. Usually that's enough, especially for a hobby car seldom driven in bad weather. Might not be enough for a daily driver, but many have used one in a DD. You can always link two together. Ford trucks used a half gallon "juice can" type into the 90s, so that's where I'd look. My brother's early 90s F250 has two under the hood. You will still need to have the vac wiper motor rebuilt. Seals get old, you know! With a new wiper motor it should be good for another 20-30 years.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic