TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Weak-Super Slow Vacuum Wipers on a 68 Rebel 550
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Weak-Super Slow Vacuum Wipers on a 68 Rebel 550

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weak-Super Slow Vacuum Wipers on a 68 Rebel 550
    Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 12:41pm
Hello, this is my official first post/request for help.. 
I am looking for help from someone who has gone through something similar and has solved it. BTW I am a rookie in mechanics so I only do it for a hobby now that I have my first AMC REBEL. Well, my windshield wipers do not work, I started with removing the hood and removing the engine with the system of arms by a tutorial that I saw here, when I removed the engine I discovered that in addition to being full of dirt, I manually moved with difficulty what made me deduce that it lacked lubrication, in addition the air hose that fed it was without clamp and slightly broken or with cracks in the tip of the hose then I assumed that it did not get enough air, I also discovered that the pump has another hole below where the seem to be fed with air (I do not know I could not find references or tutorials about what is that hole). Finally, disarm the pump (it's just some 6 or 8 strange head screws)
I discovered that I had old automotive grease like old poop, so I decided to clean it with carburetor cleaner, the whole pump I cleaned it and before assembling it I lubricated it with industrial sewing machine oil in all the parts that made contact and put it together again. I tried to start the car engine without the hose and it would not start, I assumed that I should connect it to let the air flow then I connected it with the old hose that I had and so I started the car, to my pleasant surprise the windshield wiper motor moved slowly in One way and there stopped, then I moved the small plastic piece that makes it activate when you pull the button "wipers" by means of a cable similar to the accelerator and the lever of the motor moved to the other side also with a slow movement and I discovered that when moving the "activating" plastic piece moved to one side and another, I hear how the air enters but moves very slowly.

When investigating more I have detected that under the gasoline pump leaves an oil stain on the ground, just below and I read that a damage to the diaphragm of the gasoline pump is detected when it leaves a gasoline or oil stain on the floor, in addition to air leaks or compression, I have also detected that the car smells bad combustión and accelerating while running (2nd or 3rd speed) makes small jerks and when I slow down, small farts are heard by the muffler, then I have a great doubt how to solve this.

If the diaphragm of the pump is bad, it will generate a lack of air through the hose towards the wiper pump, which will not allow them to work properly. Or just that the hose is slightly weak or broken in the mouth and is not doing its proper function or I need to connect another hose through the bottom hole of the wiper pump and frankly I do not know where I can get it from, I read that I hope you can receive your advice and solve this little detail, Thanks for reading

I would like to post pictures but sincerely i just don´t know how.

< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Georgia}
TigreContento View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 1:22pm
By the way, this is my reference: http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/vacuum_wiper_motor.shtml
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 1:41pm
Sounds like you need to rebuild or replace your fuel pump. It's leaking oil and not producing enough vacuum (so there's also an air leak).  Your wipers run on vacuum from the fuel pump..

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 6:24pm
Yep, i think so, Confusedwell i hope if i change the pump everything changes, my question is how the car still runs if the fuel pump is dead. Dead
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 6:50pm
Finally, i discover it how to post pics, well, this is the fuel pump i think is dead Dead i change the hose and usa a clamp for the vacuum wiper but still not working at all.
The car  start and runs almost without problems but it feels like it has a vacuum leak with poor fuel air mix. 

https://ibb.co/dCfPvw -
https://ibb.co/hoVeTG -
https://ibb.cosVPvw -
https://ibb.co/iQxhhb -
https://ibb.co/iYRxFw -
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 11:22pm
welcome, there;s a lot of knowledge in this place. if you pick at it, section by section, you can make that rebel reliable, but don't be surprised if it needs a new erverything...

first, you should find a copy of the Technical Service Manual for your car. NOT a Haynes or aftermarket, but a real AMC Factory Technical Service Manual (a copy is fine). it is essential.

i assume that's oil in the photo making that pump wet and not gasoline.

that pump needs replacing or a full rebuild. as does the wiper motor. in my personal experience the cost of the rebuild kit is not much savings over simply paying someone else to do it. Peter Stathes does it, if you pay him you're employing a fellow AMCer too. 

buy all new hoses -- all of them, everywhere in the car, eventually, but certainly everyone you come across, like these. new gasoline eats old rubber. get the right size hoses too, that one on there with the really big finger clamp is the wrong size (too small).

40 years old is waaaaaay past every wear component's design life. 

Edited by tomj - Nov/09/2017 at 11:25pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 11:13am
The vacuum lines don't need clamps as I recall. I think the vacuum wiper system with fuel pump assist works as good and just as reliable as electric.

I rebuilt my wiper motor because the leather seal had blown out on one side. The wipers would go up but not come back down. That was more than 30 years ago. Recently I heard of someone replacing the leather with silicone material but time will tell with that repair.

So far I have had no trouble with fuel pumps but yours definitely needs attention.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 1:58pm
Thank you Vinny, yes, the fuel pump is the problem #1 to solve, do you guys know if this fuel pump will fit on the rebel? The new one. The other pic is the original. 

https://ibb.co/jKYtqw -
https://imgbb.com/ -
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 2:15pm
the newer pump will fit fine but doesn't provide the vacuum for the wiper motor. You can tap vacuum from the intake but (and this is a big BUT) the wiper motor will not operate as well DEPENDING on the engine operating. I.E., under partial throttle (idling, coasting, steady speed, etc) they'll work fine but under acceleration (a low intake vacuum situation) they can and will slow or stop UNTIL the vacuum returns as you ease off the throttle. Having been a Falcon owner for many years, I'm very familiar with this "quirk" and learned how to adapt to it. Vacuum wipers are fine as far as I'm concerned; they were the first "intermittent" and infinitely variable speed wipers!
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 2:38pm
Kennedy American will probably have that fuel pump and might have rebuild items.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic