TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I Need Hollow Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by REBEL_BOB REBEL_BOB wrote:

Steve p is right the interference threads help keep them tight and the hole made it easy to remove broken bolts with a easyout I have a set NOS from 1973 and not four sale

Any chance of posting dimensions or pictures so the rest of us can start drilling bolts? Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 12:36pm
It's not the hole that makes them an interference fit - as far as drilling goes. You ca drill 'em all but that alone won't solve them coming loose IF that's your problem. 

I have a set of used bolts that have been re-plated - if I can find them I can post photos. I could also post the service bulletin as well. (If I have't already as I've posted a few over the years)

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

...I have a set of used bolts that have been re-plated - if I can find them I can post photos. I could also post the service bulletin as well. (If I have't already as I've posted a few over the years)

I would appreciate that.  I'd only be going for a cosmetic look, not necessarily functional.  I'm kind of anal that way.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

...I have a set of used bolts that have been re-plated - if I can find them I can post photos. I could also post the service bulletin as well. (If I have't already as I've posted a few over the years)

I would appreciate that.  I'd only be going for a cosmetic look, not necessarily functional.  I'm kind of anal that way.

The bolts are not drilled all the way thru, so once installed you can't tell the difference. Other than having the correct marking on the head. Someone with more expertise will have to tell us what the correct head marking is.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

The bolts are not drilled all the way thru, so once installed you can't tell the difference. Other than having the correct marking on the head. Someone with more expertise will have to tell us what the correct head marking is.

Oh cwap.  This is what I get for ASSUMING.  On a Mopar the hollow exhaust nuts are drilled completely through and are visible from the exterior.  I ASSUMED that the AMC was drilled from the head side.  So there is no visual advantage to using the drilled versions.  Thanks Scott, saved me another detail item.  Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 7:05pm
The original bolts were made by Rockford and have Special head markings, Grade 5, Zinc Plated and "waxed", 3/8-16, Class 3 thread, drilled thread end.  I have drilled many Grade 5 of these bolts for installs, when I ran out of NOS ones.  I use the extra thick washers. ...as george w states above, I have never had one come loose, even with Class 2 threads.  Lock washers don't work, for the temp of the exhaust will take the temper out of the lock washers. I had constant problems years ago with the two rear bolts on the right side of my 69 AMX with 343 and the bolts coming loose.  I made up a set of drilled shank bolts and it never loosed again in 50K miles I drove it before I sold it.  I can say I do not use any gaskets on exhaust manifolds to heads, I have a manifold decking machine and I run every exhaust manifold across it, before it goes for Jet Hot Coating or what ever coating the customer wants...no problem with leaks.  I check the heads for flatness and correct the head on the Bridgeport as needed.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 1:54am
I've had good results with star washers.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 9:37am
If you don't have the superior anti-seize type exhaust manifold bolts that were used on '66-'91 AMV8s to bolt the manifold to the head, just use some type of anti-seize compound on the threads of a common substitute fastener.

(grade 3 should do fine*)

*Loctite's anti-seize PDF pages shows using grease on the threads is second best solution, oil on the threads is better than nothing (page 3):

http://www.loctite.co.uk/uke/content_data/364645_AG13053_RW_BR_AntiSeize_UK_WEB.pdf

If it's for a concourse restoration, the special bolts can always be located and installed at a later date. (time permitting)

Just be glad you don't have to deal with cross threaded or seized spark plugs in an aluminum head!
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 10:35am
The thick washers you're referring to are called Williams washers. You can get them at a Fastenal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic