TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 100+ psi much oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 7:37pm
Well, I pulled it off and sure enough i done goofed on the plunger, switched it around and broke in cam, all is well 30 psi hot afterwards, thanks for the help. Glad I didn't trust my confidence. Left all the bulltear stuff on cause they're adapter hole is the same as the gasket and steel plate, for what its worth.
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 8:31pm
Ouch That's what you were told on the phone when you talked to me. Now you just ruined Steve's day by saying you installed the valve backwards. He surly doesn't like the gimmick of a wear plate but he loves the idea of a 8pc adjustable pressure relief valve. LOL
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 11:13pm

It actually consist of 9 individual parts. That is something worthwhile, unlike a plate sandwiched between the pump housing and it's cover. If someone would create and market an adjustable oil pump bypass valve, that would be something useful I could recommend. I'm sure you could design one with 8 or less components that wouldn't leak. I understand they are available for Buick engines at a reasonable price.

SKeown
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

It actually consist of 9 individual parts.

That one was made using modified hardware-store parts for the seal, so a few extra pieces required to ensure it sealed reliably. The one I made to replace it used a hydraulic sealing nut, so only 3 more pieces than the stock assembly - adjusting screw, sealing nut, spring seat:

TA Performance sells an adjustable pressure relief for Buicks. It retails for $19.95
TA Performance Adjustable Pressure Regulator

Bulltear's midplate retails for $29.00 **Sale**
Bulltear Midplate

There are a couple issues with an adjustable relief valve:

1) People might adjust it incorrectly. Could limit range by limiting screw length and thread length. I guess Buick owners are more competent than AMC owners?

2) An economical bolt-in part might fix perceived oil pressure issues ... reducing the need for special nickel-plated timing covers, custom-machined oil pump gears, custom-order lifters with special OD, numerous trips to the machine shop to ensure the "right" bearing clearances, timing covers with race-style pumps, etc.

Lots of options out there. Choose what works for your application.

Hope this helps,RD
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 2:00pm

The end of the adjusting bolt could be reduced to fit within the spring, thus eliminating the need for the spring seat to keep the spring centered in the bore. 

A milodon pan, adjustable pump relief and Johnson roller lifters (if running roller cam) is all that's needed to deal with AMC oil pressure issues for high revving performance use in properly fitted engine.

SKeown
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 4:44pm
I've never had an oil pressure problem and have always had between 60-65# hot pressure in everything I have.
Steve if your not getting over 45# then I would say you have a clearance issue or a leak somewhere,because your result is not typical IMO.
My 401 J-20 I drive every day has 63# hot going down the road and all it has is a deep pan and a ford filter. Instant oil pressure on startup with the ford unit.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 10:27am
He wasn't getting over 45psi until he installed an adjustable relief valve.   Now he can set it where he wants.  

So, yes he had a "leak" - the relief valve was opening at a lower pressure than desired.   Same as OPs relief valve wasn't opening so had over 100psi. The stock pump is capable of generating lots of flow. The relief bleeds off excess flow, so controls the system pressure depending on spring setting and relief flow characteristics.

No one currently sells an adjustable relief for AMC so either make your own, like I did, shim the spring or if operating pressures are ok, leave as is. 

Hope this helps,RD
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 10:40am
The Bulltear midplate is an excellent product if you need a midplate.

That simple, I have a couple of them and there is no defect.

The usual cautions need to be followed, like long enough screws
and sanding or milling any severely damaged surfaces.

Not trying to start a war here, it's just the facts.

One note, if you are using a after market cover made of "billet" 6061T-651
the mid plate is good protection as the 6061 is less wear resistant than cast aluminum.
Gremlin Dreams
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 10:59am
I made a few for external HD cam support plates.
So far there is no easy way to make them leak proof.

In my brief experience with the idea it is best to make
a set of caps with varying depth of pre-load.
This allows some adjustments and it impervious to
road dirt.
Gremlin Dreams
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 11:24am
I don't have a problem with the midplate as long as the relief hole is properly sized to not restrict and affect relief flow.   It serves its purpose for those that think they need it ... but like an adjustable relief, it's also an extra leak point.  

Neither of the valves I made have leaked, but road dirt will get into the threads so clean before adjusting.   The hydraulic sealing nut used on the second one we currently use on a circuit operating at 1200psi without leaks -but constant adjusting will wear out the seal and then it will weep, so need to fit a new one.  

Hope this helps, RD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic