TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

D.U.I distributor gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D.U.I distributor gear
    Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 12:30am
Hello,
I just pulled the trigger and bought a new D.U.I. distributor from summit racing. I'll be installing it into my 1973 gremlin with a 304. The engine was pulled from a 74 hornet and freshened up a couple years ago. Maybe 2,000 miles. The engine has a 500 CFM edelbrock carb and long tube headers with what I assume to be a stock replacement cam installed and the stock distributor out of the hornet. When I started pulling the motor apart I noticed that all cylinders had crosshatch and all bearings looked new so I just put it back together. The engine runs great and I'm happy with the power level (for now) but I'd like the reliability of an HEI unit. I've been doing some research and have heard that I should install a matching set of cam/distributor gears. My question is this, can I pull the gear off my stock distributor and put it on the D.U.I unit? I searched the forum and saw that someone has also done this swap. They contacted D.U.I and they responded that the gears they install on their distributors are the correct hardness for AMC engines. Should I trust them and just throw it in right out of the box? I'd like to avoid unnecessary work if I can but I also don't want to wipe out my engine. Thanks in advance!

Thomas G,
AMCya!
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 12:45am
Put the gear from the stock distributor on the DUI. Its doesn't matter if the DUI gear is made perfect or not. It is not matched to the stock gear nor has it been run in together with it. Much safer to use the existing gear if there is no wear. If there is wear in the current gear, you have to replace both with a matched set.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

tgoddardamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 1:11am
Awesome! Thanks. That is what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if there was a difference between the new distributors shaft or a difference in the case that would prevent me from swapping the gear to the new unit.
AMCya!
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 12:21am
the biggest problem with gears is the different in hardness that why its best to keep them matched
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 10:23am
I agree that it is nice to keep the gears together and there are sound reasons why it is PREFERABLE, but it is not a requirement.

Back in the day people changed gears all the time. There is no mention of keeping them matched in the TSM or anything else official from AMC. What happens, in very simplistic terms, is that when two used gears go together they tend to wear to match each other, resulting in them ending up with the wear state of the worst gear involved.

The big issue with the gears is actually lubrication. Make absolutely sure that the oiling passage coming through the camshaft/timing gears is clear and squirting oil onto the distributor gears! Newer gear sets are prone to casting flash and misalignments here and this kills those gears very, very quickly.

So, yes, by all means use your old gear if you can, that is best. If not, check the old camshaft gear and use it with a new dissy gear, presuming it is ok. However, make absolutely sure of the lubrication or it won't matter what gear you have!

Chris

PS: I have seen some aftermarket gears that are drilled differently for the roll pin that retains them than stock. Often you can redrill them to take several gears since the shaft is usually the same diameter.

Edited by ccowx - Oct/18/2017 at 10:26am
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 8:33pm
DUI has killed more AMCs than white tail deer with those gears. Use a stock replacement. 
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic