TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin AMX front spolier repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin AMX front spolier repair
    Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 8:27pm
Guys, I have a front spoiler for a Javelin AMX. It is damaged and broken in three places. My question is, can it be repaired or is it better to find a repoduction? Since it's an original part, would it be worth saving because of it's rarity? And are the repo's any good. Here are some pics. Thanks for your help.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:32pm
that an EITHER-OR thing.    your going to have some time in the repair and a re=pop will cost you   so its a toss up but its repairable    I have seen worse that have been fixed

Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
Samuelsc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Samuelsc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 10:19am
Fix it.
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 11:08am
Fix it, Eh? Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning now.
I'd to to keep the car all genuine AMC parts if I can.
I've never done this kind of repair before, But, how hard can it be?
Or, maybe I can find a body shop to do it. Thanks
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Shannock Shannock wrote:

IMO the part will need reinforcement at the back side, which is not seen from around the vehicle. Though noticeable from underneath. It won't be a points item, but should look good.

I am not sure, as I never had one to check out... but if it is anything like the late 72 on up Javelin console, it can't be fused as one, as it is not plastic, but a fiber composite which is heavier than ABS.

You could fudge it by having 1/16" steel sheet with rolled edges along the length and use a good substrate with bond metal. Then bend at its center for proper alignment with the angle of the spoiler lip to fit against.

I know 3M weather strip and gasket adhesive will do the job, but takes a week to cure semi hard, but flexible without cracking or chipping when stressed. It should work very well at mending the broken segments when they are butted up. Just razor blade the squeezed out excess adhesive flush, after an hour of setting. Once a week has been done, the broken sections should be ridged as if one piece, when the reinforcement has bonded.

Using fiberglass or Bondo will be too firm and ridged, and may chip or crack away after time, especially being driven at speeds.

That's my take on such an item, there may be other adhesives and fillers but once you mess with he 3M you will know why I gave it as an example.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 2:05pm
Fix it!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 3:52pm
Take it to a couple of bodyshops for estimates....estimates are free :)

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by Shannock Shannock wrote:

IMO the part will need reinforcement at the back side, which is not seen from around the vehicle. Though noticeable from underneath. It won't be a points item, but should look good.

I am not sure, as I never had one to check out... but if it is anything like the late 72 on up Javelin console, it can't be fused as one, as it is not plastic, but a fiber composite which is heavier than ABS.

You could fudge it by having 1/16" steel sheet with rolled edges along the length and use a good substrate with bond metal. Then bend at its center for proper alignment with the angle of the spoiler lip to fit against.

I know 3M weather strip and gasket adhesive will do the job, but takes a week to cure semi hard, but flexible without cracking or chipping when stressed. It should work very well at mending the broken segments when they are butted up. Just razor blade the squeezed out excess adhesive flush, after an hour of setting. Once a week has been done, the broken sections should be ridged as if one piece, when the reinforcement has bonded.

Using fiberglass or Bondo will be too firm and ridged, and may chip or crack away after time, especially being driven at speeds.

That's my take on such an item, there may be other adhesives and fillers but once you mess with he 3M you will know why I gave it as an example.
  Dude,  I am not the smartest duck in the pond but if you have never had one in your hand and you dont know the material its made out of how can you tell some one how to repair it? I had one repaired that was broken in half and never a issue when i owned the car. IMO if you feel you cannot make the repairs yourself take it to a reputable body shop in your area and get a estimate and see what the cost of getting it repaired vs the cost of a repop and your answer will come too you. Lee     
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 7:29pm

I know 3M weather strip and gasket adhesive will do the job, but takes a week to cure semi hard, but COPIED and PASTED

flexible without cracking or chipping when stressed. It should work very well at mending the broken segments when they are butted up. Just razor blade the squeezed out excess adhesive flush, after an hour of setting. Once a week has been done, the broken sections should be ridged as if one piece, when the reinforcement has bonded.

That's my take on such an item,

OK If you have never had one in your hand  WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU OFFER  your "TAKE"  on it   
well I have had mine in my hand and I repaired it with DURA-GLASS   
     I only offered my opinion that a person could have it repaired or repair it them self  or buy a RE-POP and put it on   
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 6:39am
Thanks for all the advice guys, after reading all your comments, I've had the pieces of this spoiler for the past 30 years, so I think the it is definitely worth saving.
This  may be a good winter project to take on if I decide to tackle the repair myself. But I will also get a quote from a body shop, I have the hood which was damaged in the same accident, and that needs work too. 
Thanks
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic