TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 Rambler Classic I6 to V8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 7:23pm
I like a 4.0 with a 258 crank.

Replace the whole drive train and have a ball with a modern motor that easily makes 200hp.
Gremlin Dreams
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 11:07am
I'll check on those pistons. Heck, I have a used rod too. Won't cost much to send to Nevada. Pistons won't cost what they would from Egge or Kanter, that's for sure!! Those are the only sources I know of, and I'm pretty sure Kanter gets them from Egge.
Frank Swygert
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 2:27pm
I appreciate the offer, I don't need any parts right now but if I ever get my hands on a 327 I'll let you know. 
Jason
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 2:31pm
I see a bunch of people like swapping in a 4.0. I plan on having more Ramblers so I'll save that for a future project LOL 
Jason
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I'll check on those pistons. Heck, I have a used rod too. Won't cost much to send to Nevada. Pistons won't cost what they would from Egge or Kanter, that's for sure!! Those are the only sources I know of, and I'm pretty sure Kanter gets them from Egge.

Well I came across Egge but never bothered looking for anything on there since the machine shop said they couldn't find any 0.040 over pistons. I just looked and I found them under Nash/Rambler. It'd be great if you do have those 0.040 over pistons! Big smile
Jason
planetanners View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planetanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2017 at 1:17pm
I did replace a 196 with a 327 in the late 70s. I had 3  similar cars a 59 , 60 and a 62.  I put all this stuff in the 59 classic.  the rear motor mount to me was the most critical.  the trans needs the v8 bell housing and the front band and clutch are wider the torque converter is different along with the flex plate. and starter. It all fit nicely and has worked well for several hundred thousand miles.  also performs well. also need a 3 row radiator unless you live in northern Alaska or Canada. 
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2017 at 2:09pm
Whats a shame is i had the org. 6 and trans from my wagon 41,000 org miles on it spotless ran mint i posted it here on the forum years back for free and had no takers...I tripped over it for a year before i scrapped it..
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Margo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 12:13pm
Hey All.  I'm in need of a set of mounts to put my 360 in a 1969 Rambler wagon (not an American). I'll be removing a great running 232 w/ automatic trans. I think I saw a post of a guy building and selling adapters. This may help the guy with the 63 post. Thanks!
planetanners View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planetanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 3:20pm
you may have to make mounts to adapt to later style mounts. don't know of a ready made adaptation.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2020 at 6:41am
The BullTear I6 to V8 conversion mounts are only for the small cars -- 66-69 American and Hornet/Gremlin/Concord/Spirit. Won't just bolt into the Classic, but might work with some additional work. They need some tweaking to fit correctly due to minor differences over the years (bolt holes need shifting some). You still need the small body engine side plates, at least to use in a small body car.

The 63-64 Classic still used the old 196. There are no "perches" on the crossmember, the mounts sit low on the engine and bolt directly to the crossmember. Easy to use rectangular tubing drilled for the late model V-8 mounts and drilled and tapped for a bolt to run up through the original 196 mount holes in the crossmember. That's how I have my 4.0L mounted. Use 10-11 gauge tubing and a fine threaded 3/8" grade 5 or 8 bolt to hold it on. Drill and bolt to the motor mounts on the motor then lower in. Lower motor in and suspend where you want it with the rubber mounts on, then measure for the tubing size needed (height). Leave at least 3/8" (1/2" might be better) between crossmember and pan -- rubber mounts will settle some and you need at least 1/4" clearance.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic