TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1958 Rambler American Steering Box Same as Metro??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1958 Rambler American Steering Box Same as Metro??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1958 Rambler American Steering Box Same as Metro??
    Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 7:52pm
Anyone know if a 1958 American steering box will interchange with a 1958 Metropolitan? I know the American box is mounted upside down but...the American was made form the parts bin. Metro parts?

I need a spare box.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 8:30pm
No go, sorry!
BUT, I think an American box up to '63 will interchange.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 8:57pm
metropolitans don't have much Nash DNA imported from the two chassis lines. 

the American's box isn't a borrow, upside down. i would guess -- not having and Nash tech data -- it came from a previous Nash car (certainly the '56 the AMericans essentially are). it's not upside down, the arm comes out the top by design. it's the best thing about that box -- the seal is at the top, and doesn't have oil sitting on it.

other than the crappy ratio (20000000000:1 or something) it's not a bad thing. i've rebuilt one. decently made. i run 50 weight in mine, replaced the bushing and seal, it's quite fine. 

but yeah, it's an oddball, and very, very tiny, ain't nothing else gonna fit in that hole. the Ackermann stuff in the front end requires that tiny pitman arm swing and the peculiar steering linkage. 

it's all Nash all the way. it's entirely old-world, not modern at all!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:09pm
Poop!  This one had water in it when I got it (48K miles) and it's notchy and won't adjust. Hopefully it just has bad bearings and bushing but I have my fears about the heavy metal, based on how it feels.

It's giving me a weird shimmy on slight turns over 45 mph, both ways. Feels like bad wheel balance but isn't. Nothing at all if pointed straight ahead. I guess it could be soggy control arm bushings but the box needs sorting in any case so it goes first.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:16pm
there is no adjustment in this (or any) steering box... that's the end play adjustment. and it's gotta be set with the box out of the car or at least with the pitman arm not connected to the steering link. most boxes the sector engagement is a shim or cover plate thing.

it's an easy rebuild. the kits are NOS, but likely available as no one ever rebuilds them! lol. 

though the ratio is terrible and it's a spear'o'death, mine's thoroughly pleasant to drive, no slop, etc. and gear oil instead of grease works great.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:20pm
oh, the wear mode of mine was that the pitman arm shaft rocked in its worn bushing. it was barely visible but that's enough to make it very sloppy. i wonder though if it woudl cause a shimmy. 

pretty much all these boxes, the backlash is very low when the box is correctly centered, but a substantial amount of play/backlash off center. this is intentional, i forget the reason. the sector gear is cut that way.

the point is, the box must be exactly centered when the play is set (by preload with a spring scale, if i remember, but hmmm id have to RTFM). steering wheel centered, qhich requires good tie rod ends and good lower trunnions. and in the early americans, the steering linkage balls and sockets all OK. (that thing is weird. i think i know why it is like it is.)

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 11:55am
I'm going to pull it today. For experimentation sake I overtightened both the sector adjustment and the endplay to see if the slop left the building, with no joy. So it's either the bearings or the bushing and probably both. 

With everything overtightened I'm not sure there's enough play to make the wobble in turns....but maybe. Otherwise it's bushing time.

Alignment is done and good and tires are new and balanced. New front bearings too. No play in front parts anywhere. Idler arm busing new. Everything centered and lubed.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 4:12pm
OK. As feared, it's the everything causing the problem. Bushing is a little loose, bearings are junk, both heavy gears are pitted and, oddly, the small 2 tooth gear is loose on its roller pin. Net result - adding up all the small errors - is no good.

How do I find a spare box?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by andyleonard andyleonard wrote:

Poop!  This one had water in it when I got it

oopsie. water is a bad lubricant!

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 11:43pm
i have one! for you! $1000!

but with your AMCForum discount... 10 easy payments!

umm, it's yours for shipping or whatever. i have two. grubby used, i'll peek inside to make sure its not full of water.

you going to Boulder City in Nov? 

shipping would be a PITA due to the ridiculuous Spear'O'Death, but it can be done. i'm in Los Angeles.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic