TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Dipstick Issue FARNA HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ramble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Dipstick Issue FARNA HELP!
    Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 11:57am
Hello all.
I've owned 2 different AMCs.
63 Classic
64 American

Both of the oil dipsticks measurements seem wrong and was wondering if Farna or anyone can help.
When I change my oil (and filter), I add 5 new quarts.
Run the engine for a bit then let it sit before I check the level.
When I check the dipstick, the oil is way past the upper line and shows up on the letters that say FULL.
If I have 4 quarts in the engine, the oil on the stick is on the upper line where it belongs.

Does anyone else have this issue.
What gives?

Thanks in advance.

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 12:22pm
Strange. 5 quarts-with filter change-is definitely correct!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 5:06pm
Hurry Frank I want the answer!
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 5:06pm
You don't say what engine you have,  but I bet it's a 196,  with the upside-down oil filter on the head.

That upside down oil filter is draining back down into the oil pan when you wait before checking the oil level.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
The Ramble View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ramble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 6:32pm
Hello tyrodtom.
Yes, I have a 196 OHV in the Classic.
196 Flathead in the American.

So, what your saying is that the oil should be checked for a level before the oil drains back down into the pan?
Strange I never saw that in any TSM or user glovebox type manual.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 6:59pm
I once had a similar issue with a '64 Classic and a '65 American.  Both had the OHV 196, the 64 with a partial flow filter and the 65 with a full flow.  The dipsticks were TWO different lengths.  In my case I was told that because the 65 had power brakes and the 64 didn't that the 65's was longer since the dipstick tube was angled more due to the booster.  Not sure if any of this relates to your problem but know that there are different size dipsticks out there.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 8:45pm
the 195.6 engine is FOUR (4) QUARTS, not 5. and the oil filter is SUPPOSED to drain into the pan. there is no anti-drainback valve in that filter. it doesn't matter, and if it did have one, it would have no effect, as the filter is in bypass of the head, not in series with it.

the 232, 258, etc is 5 quarts.

overfilling it a quart won't kill it. might consume more if you do a lot of "high speed" (lol) driving -- eg. sustained over 2500... that's just a guess.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

I once had a similar issue with a '64 Classic and a '65 American.  Both had the OHV 196, the 64 with a partial flow filter and the 65 with a full flow.  The dipsticks were TWO different lengths.  

oh, interesting! i never checked the 65's dipstick length . i'll do that. interesting. there's no exact science to sump full level, it's very forgiving at least in our old engines. with the full-flow filter the filter is full of oil, and needs to be at cold start so it doesn't start up dry. never drove one (my 65 is a parts engine).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 8:54pm

Does the owners manual tell you specifically how to check the oil ?

On a flathead in particular you don't have that much space for the oil to drain back from,  other than that filter,  there's no need for a wait.

On the spec sheet I have,  for a 62 196 OHV, it says the oil capacity is 4 quarts,  but to add 1 quart if you change the filter.

Edited by tyrodtom - Oct/11/2017 at 9:03pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
The Ramble View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ramble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:52pm
Exactly, you add 1 qt. for a filter change...which would make it a 5 quart capacity.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic