TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

62 A-10 Solenoid issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 62 A-10 Solenoid issues
    Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 2:03pm
Hope that does it!
Frank Swygert
PolarBear View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 10:36am
After a lot of research and looking at how the claw looks on the inside, rotating would cause me the same issue. I took the Solenoid apart last night, was not hard. Everything looked ok and I rotated the shaft to where is should be. I then reinstalled and checked to make sure it was grabbing the claw. Looks good for now. 

Polarbear
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 7:23am
Try rotating the solenoid 180 degrees then installing. May have been put in wrong at some point. Really doesn't matter which side the wires are on as long as they reach.
Frank Swygert
PolarBear View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 11:07pm
I have the information on installing. But the flat portion of the shaft that allows the end to lock onto the claw seems to be turned 1/3 off on mine compared to ones I see on line. When I turn 1/3 turn when installing and lining up the retaining bolts, then the shaft is no longer locked.

Polarbear
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 9:27pm
I don't know what you mean by a "1 1/2" shaft.  The TSM tells how to remove and install the solenoid.  I don't have a TSM in front of my but you need to turn it to the right or left (as stated in the TSM) when you remove and install it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
PolarBear View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 9:20pm
Was having OD issues on car I am working on. I went through checking all the relays and installing new kick down switch. But when OD engaged would not disengage and so I was locked out of reverse. 

Testing I could hear the relay kick in and out. I could hear the OD kick in and out. But still locked up. Took Solenoid out. Dropped right out when I took the bolts out. Check I could see that It was not grabbing the claw. When I turned it 1/2 to 1/3 turn more it locked

Looking at the Solenoid shaft, all the photos on line of solenoid show the shaft at a different angle. Which matches to my issues. Before I started torquing on the shaft, I wanted to see what is the safe way to turn this 1/3 to 1/2 way around. 

This is on a 1962 rambler cross country wagon, which makes even finding a replacement that much harder as it had a 1 1/2 shaft. 
Polarbear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic