TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

oil pressure sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 1:24pm
Be watchful in that I ordered a sending unit for my SX4 gauge and it read wrong so I ordered another one from another source it also read wrong. I tried one I had here and the dumb thing pegged the gauge when it has pressure because it worked backwards of the other (likely it was from a later Jeep or something)
I have had trouble with sending units from parts stores - they may "fit" but aren't always the correct resistance range. (impedance is not the same as resistance- for the record Wink )

(Also, just a tip for lurkers - sending units are for gauges, oil pressure switches are for lights. Sending units vary resistance with pressure where switches are on or off with nothing in between)
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

impedance is not the same as resistance- for the record
The term "impedance" implies a complex number of both magnitude and phase, and is used in AC circuits. Since a pressure sending unit is DC only, the phase is 0 degrees, making impedance and resistance the same thing in this application.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 8:12pm
You just said it - "is used in AC circuits".
I've never seen it used in DC - it's sure not in any book I have used in reference to DC. (some of those being from the 1960s and 70s)

So I consider it misused as applied to pure DC circuits where we measure resistance - and the specs we compare to and measure for are in ohms resistance, a straight measurement and part of "ohm's law" formula.

( I know some folks like to repeat what they read and use it as an attempt to show knowledge - so you see it used or misused in such cases as well)
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 10:28am
so, you are thinking i have the wrong sending unit?  the one i have is domed.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 9:59pm
is there a certain part number for the correct one?
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 9:48am
Does anybody have a sending unit for the rally pak they would be willing to part with?
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 10:14am
This is some info on the Miller tool to check the Mopar gauge senders.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 12:43pm
The new sending units are junk and never seem to work right.   
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 7:24am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

The new sending units are junk and never seem to work right.   

i have tried 3 new ones and cant get one to work.  still looking for a workiing one.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 7:44am
Have you done any more resistance checks?  I'm guessing you should have about 55 ohms at idle (15 psig) and 25 ohms at 2500 rpm (40 psig), or thereabouts.  This is based on what I THINK a Javelin oil pressure gauge is scaled at, 0-80 psig.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic