TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

oil pressure sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Have you done any more resistance checks?  I'm guessing you should have about 55 ohms at idle (15 psig) and 25 ohms at 2500 rpm (40 psig), or thereabouts.  This is based on what I THINK a Javelin oil pressure gauge is scaled at, 0-80 psig.

i am getting 72 ohms at idle and it goes down to 60 ohms at about 2500 rpm.  this is with the wire disconnected from the sending unit.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

mechanical gauge reads 60 at idle.  not a pressure bleed thing.. its gotta be two bad sending units.  everything else works..

Hmm.  Two thoughts.  You have 60 psig at idle?  Are you sure the mechanical gauge is accurate?  Secondly, I would order a Mopar sender for a '70 Charger and try it.  The gauge range is the same and the instrument voltage regulator should be the same voltage, so.....
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 9:19am
Yes the gauge is accurate, it is reading the same as when it was on the dyno and when it was on the dyno we used a different mechanical gauge. once the engine warms up, it goes down a little bit.. do you know if you can still buy a mopar sending unit from chrysler for the 70 charger?
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 10:42am
The gauge sending units are readily available from RockAuto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=44334&cc=1496003

The oil pressure still puzzles me.  What you are saying is that it's relatively constant from idle to higher engine speed, both hot and cold?  This flies in the face of everything I've ever seen.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 10:57am
when its cold it will be right at 60 at idle.  when it warms up it comes down to about 30 at idle.  when the engine is revved up, it goes up to about 80 when cold and about 60 when warm.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 11:00am
Thanks 6PakBee, i ordered that sending unit.
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 7:16pm
mstrcrftr, I am having the same problem with oil pressure gauge. I also tee'd and added a mechanical gauge and glad I did but would like to get my other gauge working. What was your resolve?

Thanks in advance

B.P.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 7:28pm
actually it was using the correct ohm sending unit.  i tried all of the ones you can buy in an autoparts store and none worked.   Then Roger helped me out with a part number of a unit that will work correctly.  "A BIG THANKS AGAIN TO ROGER".  Also known on the forum as 6PakBee. 
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 7:49pm
Thanks I will give it a try and see..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic