TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Debating oil mods for a 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AZ_chip View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ_chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2017 at 4:15am
All great info! I am starting a 401 rebuild myself. I saw the adjustable oil relief spring idea elsewhere. Maybe here. I read somewhere the idea of painting the valley with a product called Glyptol. Any thoughts on that? 
1981 Jeep Cherokee
AMC 360 Holley Sniper
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2017 at 7:24am
Personally I do not like the idea of coating anything inside of an engine.
Gremlin Dreams
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2017 at 8:15am
I have seen lifter valley painted but im with boris not a fan possibility of it flaking always crosses my mind but one thing that can be done is to smooth the vally to promote drain back
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2017 at 11:32am
My 327 came with the Red Glyptol from the factory with no signs of flaking or chipping.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2017 at 8:09pm
Glyptol and other types of coatings have been used for many years both on and off the track. Even AMC used it on "factory" engines in the Rambler days. It is like any other product that someone might use. Done it right all is fine. Screw up and you pay the price. Don't blame the product, blame whomever did not follow the proper procedures, instructions, or recommendations.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 3:52am
cam bearing oil holes are huge in this motor bleed off a lot that can starve other areas and you can put a restrictor in line to the lifter bores if needed without bushing the bores cam bearings can be reclocked upon installation and re drilled smaller like .070 I like to do this instead of running internal line or restricted pushrods   I've never run an internal line actually is make sure you're crank is drilled right and that supply to rear main is drilled and put that little nut on the oil pickup to space away from pan   Some other brand engines have little plastic button on oil pickup but not amcs. 6 quarts
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 4:10am
Bleed off is a function of clearance not the size of the feed hole. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 4:13am
True Jc but they are much larger than many others I've installed
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 4:15am
Probly non issue for him anyway
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by dbomb dbomb wrote:

Some other brand engines have little plastic button on oil pickup but not amcs.

... maybe some years don't, but the few I've taken apart do have a plastic button.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic