TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

9.70 at 135 – Edelbrock Heads, E85

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 4:13am
The 1000 CFM carb probably had boosters that were not large enough to supply the fuel your car needed. No matter how much jet you put to it the booster becomes the restriction if that is the case. 

I ran into that with E85 and a Proform 950 carb. I kept putting jet to it and the car ran the same number. To test, I added 10 jet sized primary and secondary and the car ran the same number. That is when I knew something was up.

I sent the carb to Eric at Horsepower innovations and when I got it back it was .4 faster than I could get it with much smaller jetting. He changed to larger boosters along with his other mods. The carb performed excellent and Eric is a friendly and an informative man to talk to. That carb was on a daily driver street car and it ran excellent with no issues. 

This is a link to his site

http://eric68hpi.wixsite.com/hpinnovations
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
ramblermoosecocka View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblermoosecocka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 2:37pm
Using a 15 gallon Jaz plastic fuel cell.  Product Engineering pump (the big one) and filter assembly.  -12 cell to filter.  -10 up to the PE regulator, -8 return to the cell.  -8 pump bypass and -8 vent.  -8 regulator to bowls.  No issues with corrosion so far (but it's only been on the road since May of this year.).  I did lube the carb throttle blade shafts after the dyno session in late 2014.  Using Earl's braided line, with the brown stripe.

Cannot give a direct comparison on how mush cooler it runs.  Previous Rambler was similar, but gas, and ran somewhat warmer than this one does on E85.  On the street, at 85F ambient, runs 155-160 coolant temp.  165-170 at 94F ambient.  On extended freeway drives, its ambient + 100.  So at 85F, it runs 185.  I hope to improve this by sealing the radiator to the front of the car.  On gas, the previous Rambler would push 195-200 on extended freeway drives at 92F.  Lot of variables here, but I would estimate it runs about 5-10 deg cooler everywhere, including the track.  At the track, after warming it up and cooling it off some, enter the water at 140-145.  I don't look at it again - too busy.  160-165 at the ticket hut after driving down the return road.

NGK spark plugs, cold ones at the track.  Extended tip.  R5672A-8, gapped to .045.  If i'm going to be street driving it much, warmer plugs, -7.
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 8:04pm
Thank you for sharing. 

I "read somewhere" that like gas, the E85 quality changes with the seasons depending on additives from the supplier.  Do you adjust the mixture using a hydrometer or just run as pumped?

Paul Ford it sounds like you mix your own.  No benefit from mixing with 92 octane? How do you know when you have 87%?

Thanks Jerry

Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2017 at 8:33am
I did a quick change over from pump gas to E85 on a mostly stock 360. (Cam & Performer intake) We just jetted down an alky carb & went from 13.30's on gas to 12.49 on the E85. I'm thinking it is like alky in that the gains are substantial on slower low compression engines.
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:18am
eric built our first E85 carb and we could'nt make it rich enough and just like you had happen going from the proform when we went to a sullens carb it went .4 in the 1/8th quicker on much smaller jetting i agree eric is a nice guy and great to work with, our combination just didn't like that carb. 

we do mix our own e85 and i simply take 5 gallon cans and use a little simple math 5.00x0.87=4.35 gallons of E100 leaving me with 0.65 gallons of 87 in a 5 gallon can. and then double check with a tester from holley or quickfuel and make sure its in the ball park. as far as using 91 or 93 or what ever instead of 87 it just makes a fuel thats already hard to burn even harder to burn it doesn't detonate so theres really no point the plugs come out clean, you might mix with something else if you were using boost or had a compression ratio over 15.1.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 5:54pm
The car I had it on was much slower than yours, 11.70's 

When I got the carb back I think it had 78/88 jets with his new metering blocks, it was a while ago. 

It didnt run any better with jet changes at the track so I always ran it with the jets he had in it. 

There was a lot of room for jetting but wheter or not it would have worked on you car I dont know. It had great response and performed well on that particular engine. 

Never tried another carb from another E85 person

rbjracing.com
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 4:28am
Found the sheet I got with the carb from Eric

rbjracing.com
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 1:44pm
I don't have the sheet for the one we had it didn't have power valves and had 104 and 105s from eric ended up at 110s square and .021 air bleed instead of a .026 so super rich(you would think) but it just still wanted more the sullens carb we have now is happy at 99s square and .026 so big difference. in the way the rest of the carb flows fuel.
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 1:56pm
Our HPI carb i wish it had worked it was pretty.

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 10:47pm
I'd like to congratulate all who designed and built this custom 427 AMV8 stroker one more time.

I think your engine will like the big Indy single plane intake manifold. (if it fits the Edlebrock heads)

Historically, I think Traco was trying to build this engine... but they did not know about supplying oil to the rear of the engine through a bypass line... which I give credit to Bobby Allison's team for inventing (and those Matadors began winning)

Back then, I think Offenhauser made a big plenum dual plane (which might also be usable on  your engine because it's rod ratio 'likes' a big intake) but it never got popular because so few engines with your specs ever get built (the big Offy dual plane is too big even for 390s and 401s?)

(it doesn't matter whether one lapps or uses 240-400 wet sand paper on glass sheet flat surface to fine tune pump gear end clearance because they both leave embedded grains in the aluminum just the same ~but~ on the pump side (not on the filter adapter side) it is merely a gasketed surface so it makes no difference (does not contact any moving parts)

If one is still interested in finding non-embedding lapping compound (where one shouldn't use conventional 'Clover' for a surface where there are moving parts in contact, such as the AMV8 filter adapter covering the pump cavity) The only product I've been able to find is called 'Timesaver' (but it works slow and takes forever!) https://www.modeltford.com/item/TIMESAV-Y.aspx ...not sure if 'Brownell's' carries it www.brownell.com

Sorry if I missed and you said it before, is this engine running a Milodon deep pan and Milodon oversized pickup tube?

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/26/2017 at 11:03pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic