TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

9.70 at 135 – Edelbrock Heads, E85

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2017 at 6:15am
Just the normal internal oil line and extra drain back holes in the valley area. We also lapped the timing cover to get near zero end clearance at the oil pump gears. It has the Milodon oil pan with the external pick-up line running up to the oil passage in the block. I think we restricted oil to the driver's side lifter bank. Nothing fancy. As far as I know those were AMC's mods back in the day. We also ran a drill through the main bearing oil passages. Those usually aren't drilled through all the way through. I also opened up the main bearing oil holes to 5/16" with a small chamfer. And, we welded the giant oil slots shut on the front of the Timing gear.
Brad4 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Edited by SC397 - Oct/05/2017 at 6:45am
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2017 at 7:05am
Very impressive numbers! I have a very similar build going together, same cubic inI, rods, heads and cam specs. Can you remember what size oriface you used to restrict the drivers side lifter bank? I've searched this up and found a bunch of different numbers.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
ramblermoosecocka View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblermoosecocka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2017 at 10:01am
Camshaft grind number is 68033-68035-106.  Again, Harold Brookshire's lobes, ground by Steve Slavik at Lunati.  There are others available.  I bought a cam the next size up in case the one I started with was too small in the RPM department.

.090" lifter galley restriction on the driver's side.  This is a 1/8" NPT plug with a hole drilled in it.  Not positive this is optimal, its just what I used.  I run the valves a lot, just to keep an eye on the lash.  Usually find more oil accumulated in the RH rocker cover.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2017 at 10:11am
Impressive numbers! It's refreshing to see real world results and proof of solid engine builds!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblermoosecocka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 10:08am
I am a little surprised there wasn't more discussion (disagreement?) about the choice of the Edelbrock cylinder heads for this application (Barry Allen talked me into it), or the crankshaft modifications, or the connecting rods choice, or what makes a car a street-car, etc.  Ramblers rule.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 10:56am
Umm.. You can't really call those Edelbrock heads any more.. Maybe you could call them "Razor Welded Heads". LOL!
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by ramblermoosecocka ramblermoosecocka wrote:

I am a little surprised there wasn't more discussion (disagreement?) about the choice of the Edelbrock cylinder heads for this application (Barry Allen talked me into it), or the crankshaft modifications, or the connecting rods choice, or what makes a car a street-car, etc.  Ramblers rule.

I had noticed the width of the crank journals to accept the Chevy rods, and figured the rods were switched around to center the beams. Obviously the E85 allows for the compression. How much advantage do you think the E85 produced over race gas? I have a HP 1000 Ultra and would like to know what jets and timing you setteled on?

SKeown
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblermoosecocka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 2:19pm
Regarding the advantage E85 has over race gas for NA applications (boosted is completely different story), there is little consistency in the data available on the net.  Lots of track results reported on the bullet and other places, but results vary significantly, maybe due to different levels of carb prep or inconsistent air between comparisons.  The data I believe is a dyno test run by Kurt Urban at Wheel to Wheel on a well-developed 402 inch LS street engine they had.  On pump gas, it made 540 HP and 506 LB-FT.  On E85, the numbers were 546 and 521, making peak power 100 RPM lower. Same sensor set and intake hardware, just a different FI cal.  

So probably more torque than HP.  Lower RPM might make sense too, the E85 displacing some oxygen in the intake tract.  Race gas comparison, not sure; some blends are highly oxygenated.  That said, I believe E85 is helpful.  How much is a guess.  Urban's results scaled up to my engine: 7 hp and 18 LB-FT? 

My carb is a modified HP 1000 Ultra, provided by Horsepower Innovations here in MI.  We had to jet it up on the dyno, ending at 95/106, with a 2.5 PV in the primary, determined by on-road testing.  For timing, we ended up at 37 deg (coincidentally the same timing as the previous motor using these heads, on gasoline.).  My ATI damper shows 34 deg, but there is a 3 deg error in the indexing, checked carefully when installing the cam.
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 8:20am
our 427 is on e85 and we had a custom built annular booster HPI 1000cfm carb on it to begin with and the best the car went with that carb after alot of changes and trying to add as much fuel as we could was 11.40 at 116 ending up with 110's squared and .021 air bleeds without powervalves and the plugs were still white. we swapped to a mark sullens 950 cfm carb and the car went 10.70 at 124.75 the next weekend, .7 in the quarter is a huge gain the 1000cfm carb i don't think has enough wall taper unless your running really big inch's and causes fuel and air to go turbulent obviously it works better for your combination could be several factors involved there. and your car is alot faster than ours but that makes me wonder if theres not more left in it. we never ran this combo on race gas but we really like the  price of e85 and how cool and consistent the motor seems to be on it. this thing repeats really well. and there is a station here that sells e100 that i mix with straight 87 to get 87% ethanol blend so the blend stays consistent. we've probably at least saved half the price of the carb in the difference in fuel price over race gas this season.
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 9:41pm
Congratulations on your build and results!  Your E.T.  is unbelievable considering the weight, 3.73 gears and "mild foot braking" on a Street Car.  I would hate to see what it would do on a transbrake and 2-step!
     You've already got me by 3 tenths in a 407/727/4:88 chassis car.
Thanks for sharing the E85 info.  Which pump and fuel line I.D from the tank do you guys run?  Corrosion issues?  How much cooler does the engine run? What spark plug and #?
Thanks, Jerry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic