TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

390 exhaust leak or stuck lifter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Rounded over lobes don’t tick....Look closely around the ports for soot...and if your running stock manifolds check to make sure your heat riser isn`t rattling

Mine did. Wore a hole in the lifter face.

-Steve-

Then it wasn`t completely round..a fully rounded lobe doesn’t`t open the valve so it can`t tick...If it still had a profile and a hole in the base it would tick...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 8:51pm
Get one of those automotive stethoscopes from HongKong Freight. Cheap $3.99 and works great to pinpoint your noise.

grparen View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grparen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2017 at 9:50pm
No, stock exhaust manifolds.
Gary Parente
1969 S/C Rambler B Scheme
1964 American 330 2 Dr Sedan
grparen View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grparen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 12:56pm
I notice the tick goes away when I let off the gas while driving. Also, I put a stethoscope all along the valve cover while idling and I do not hear the tick even though it is present. Maybe it's the donut! Any other ideas?
Gary Parente
1969 S/C Rambler B Scheme
1964 American 330 2 Dr Sedan
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 1:12pm
It's an exhaust leak if it's doing that
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by gremlinsteve gremlinsteve wrote:

It's an exhaust leak if it's doing that

X2, yep.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 2:17pm
If you're running roller tipped rockers with a hydraulic cam, that's your noise. After they break in, they get noisy. With a solid cam you won't notice, but with a hydraulic cam, it sounds like a bad lifter. Comp cams tech will verify that if you call them (just as an example). Drove me nuckin futs.
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 2:29pm
To check for exhaust leaks, grab an insulated glove or at least a folded up rag and with the car running, temporarily block off each tailpipe while your buddy listens if the tick gets louder. Don't seal it off completely! Just apply pressure to the tailpipe and let off a few times and listen for a change. If it don't change cold or hot, no leak.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Rounded over lobes don’t tick....Look closely around the ports for soot...and if your running stock manifolds check to make sure your heat riser isn`t rattling

Mine did. Wore a hole in the lifter face.

-Steve-

Then it wasn`t completely round..a fully rounded lobe doesn’t`t open the valve so it can`t tick...If it still had a profile and a hole in the base it would tick...

Well, there's an exception to any rule.  This was out of a 392 IH that was quite as death when running.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by limachine limachine wrote:

If you're running roller tipped rockers with a hydraulic cam, that's your noise. After they break in, they get noisy. With a solid cam you won't notice, but with a hydraulic cam, it sounds like a bad lifter. Comp cams tech will verify that if you call them (just as an example). Drove me nuckin futs.

That's also an interestIng point. I heard that from someone at a car cruise. Another guy thought my lifters were noisy and a second guy asked if I had roller rockers and a hydraulic cam. Sure enough. I'm used to it and hardly notice anymore. Originally, I was concerned and readjusted preload twice before just setting it while running with a set of valve covers modified to do that. There was a significant difference in clattering lifters and the lighter chatter that's normal with my setup.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic