TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Still leaking...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still leaking...
    Posted: Sep/30/2017 at 4:48pm
I'm back.

Changed out the transmission pan gasket and filter+gasket on the transmission this morning and all was well until tranny got warm then it leaked all the fluid I had just put in on it.

I see the service manual says to torque the bolts down to 15# but I looked for a torque wrench and they all started at 20#.

I linked The pictures below to give an idea of what I'm talking about. Any suggestions?

I have a "m36" trans according to TSM.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49909972@N08/shares/HGWX44
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2017 at 9:40pm
Was the pan rail straight,  the area around the holes not pulled in ?

If someone inn the past really tightened them too tight the pan rail around the holes will be bent.

They make inch- pounds torque wrenches for the low torque jobs like tightening bolts in aluminum.

Click type torque wrenches aren't usually very accurate low in the range,  unless you spend high dollars.

I just use a cheap beam type torque wrench on tightening in aluminum.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

Was the pan rail straight,  the area around the holes not pulled in ?

If someone inn the past really tightened them too tight the pan rail around the holes will be bent.

They make inch- pounds torque wrenches for the low torque jobs like tightening bolts in aluminum.

Click type torque wrenches aren't usually very accurate low in the range,  unless you spend high dollars.

I just use a cheap beam type torque wrench on tightening in aluminum.

To be honest I didn't check if it was but I felt that if I just hammered it up it'd stop the bleeding... I mean leaking.

I just assumed that the gasket was the issue.

I'll look up that torque wrench. I'll need it.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 12:11pm
If the pan is not too bad you can always go to products like Permatex automatic transmission RTV. Just make sure all the surfaces are well cleaned and I usually like to put it on the transmission case and let it set for 15 to 30 minutes (or what the RTV states) before putting on the pan.  Remember there is no gasket and it's best to follow the RTV instructions for tightening. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 12:24pm
Also, fill the transmission IAW with the TSM instructions.  As I recall, you add about seven quarts then check the level as specified in the TSM until you get to the fill line.    An overfull condition will prompt a constant slow leak (or it can) from the shift shaft seal and maybe elsewhere.  Running with it overfull causes foaming which is not a good thing either.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

If the pan is not too bad you can always go to products like Permatex automatic transmission RTV. Just make sure all the surfaces are well cleaned and I usually like to put it on the transmission case and let it set for 15 to 30 minutes (or what the RTV states) before putting on the pan.  Remember there is no gasket and it's best to follow the RTV instructions for tightening. 

If you notice on TSM picture I posted there's some jackets on the tranny. The gasket I replaced had those on it. The new one did not it was just flat.

Do you think if I put the permatex sealant in there and use the new gasket (after checkikng if the pan is straight) that should help?

It's hard to record the leak cuz it makes such a mess, Ha ha.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 3:48pm
The RTV bead would go around bolt holes and those recesses. 
The old gasket was flat originally and has deformed to those recesses by torquing the pan bolts.
You do not use a gasket if you use RTV - it's one or the other.
If you want a real good gasket seal you can put a thin film of Hylomar or similar products on the gasket. But next time you try to remove it will be a real pain.  
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 5:15pm
Ok so I jacked up the car and it looks like the leak is coming from above the transmission pan.

I tried my best to capture a video and some pictures. I can see a shaft inside. I'm pretty sure the bellhousing is shot and I need a new. I also need a dust cover for the front of it.

What you guys Think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49909972@N08/shares/m030aV
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 7:58pm
If all you did was replace the filter and pan gasket I cannot see cracking the transmission case in any way unless you placed a jack under it.
pacerman would be on the right track in that foaming "could" happen and the fluid has been blown past the shaft seal or dislodged the seal if the transmission case pressurized.
My first thoughts are to try a careful refill, let it sit a few hours, start the car in neutral, and see what happens.
If the case is cracked the fluid should weep out a little in the wait time.
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 8:26pm
Disregard this post go to pg 2...

Edited by Jjtxaz - Oct/01/2017 at 9:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic