TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spun Axle Tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2017 at 7:21pm
I'm with you, Lyle. I actually really liked the ride I had with the HD AMX springs with my own home brewed add a leaf. I'm sure a recurve from a reputable shop would work nicely.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 6:27am
Late model Ranger 8.8" is about the right width, Explorer axle is 1.5" too wide. Of course that can be corrected with deeper offset wheels... 

Recurve of the springs usually works, really depends on the shop and just how bad the springs are. I have heard people say they don't always last very long. I'd get new ones if the cost isn't that much over recurving. I've only had early Americans with leaf springs, and just used a half-leaf overload spring to bolster them. Coil springs on the rear of the big cars are so much nicer, either order new springs or use an Air-Lift insert type air spring. You can adapt a pickup Air-Lift overload spring to the Javelin fairly easy though. Would have to mod/fab the mounts, but should bolt onto the axle fairly easy. The upper mount would be a little more difficult. Don't need an air compressor, just check air occasionally like your tires (maybe more often that that...).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic