TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

modulator push rod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
apollotaki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: modulator push rod
    Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 11:38am
Thank you for your input. I can breath a sigh of relief.
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 11:29am
It doesn't matter which way it goes operationally but the groove machined in it to retain the little rubber boot will determine which way is best. There are several different sizes of rubber boots as several outfits made the modulators.

FYI it is possible to wiggle  the modulator around when installing and miss the internal arm with the end of the rod - the end of the rod is pushing on a dimple drilled in an arm the size of your little finger - resulting in no response whatsoever from the transmission and the release of bad words. Put it in really straight. No wiggling around.

Also FYI I am currently trying a 63 Jeep 12v/vacuum modulator. It fits and works fine. The only difference is that the hole in the modulator body where the rod inserts is much bigger and seems to be allowing fluid to enter the modulator body past the rod and drip occasionally. I'm considering a plastic/rubber insert to tighten up the rod seal.

3/8" clearance from front of modulator to trans body.
apollotaki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 8:46am
I recently removed the vacuum modulator from my 1959 Rambler Super and accidentally dropped the push rod out of it. I replaced it but I do not know if I put it in the same way. Is it possible to put the rod in backwards or it doesn't matter which way the rod goes? I have it back in and the tran. is again full of fluid. It's just been in the back of my mind whether I put it in correctly. Any suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic