TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clifford twin weber kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clifford twin weber kit
    Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 2:29pm
Think i want to save up for a kit.
But do i order for the 258 or 4.0l kit?
Is the 4.0l head swap worth the time and dollars?
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 7:23pm
Be a VERY BAD mistake to spend money with Clifford.
Just my opinion.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:11pm
While you will get a more even fuel distribution with dual carbs, a single four barrel will make the same power.  Getting a nice, used single four and dropping a small 4 barrel on it will work fantastically.
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:17pm
People are boring

Get the twins
Dual the exhaust
Drive it like a hot rod
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 10:37pm
hi, twin Webers would be great, unfortunately there is no proper manifold for them. A forum member here made his own, and it is fantastic, but it is custom. Look closely at the Clifford manifold, it is a twin 4bbl with adapters. Why not try a single Weber 38/38 first? good luck, gz
george z
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 6:31am
Every Clifford intake uses a adapter.

It's always been the same intakes,  with a different adapter plate if you chose to go 2 bbl or 4 bbl,  but in this case 2x2bbl,  or 2x4bbl.

Before you make a decision on buying from Clifford you would be advised to check around on the various forums about their recent reputation.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 6:47am
Twin carbs will work, and the Clifford intake is as good as any other twin carb intake. Personally, I'd use three sidedraft Webers if I really wanted to be impressive. Look for posts in the six cylinder area by member NOSIGMA. He put three sidedrafts on a 232 in a 65 or so American convertible. Rear carb is tight -- had to make some mods to get an air filter on with power brakes.

The Webers in general are really adjustable and work well once tuned. Different than what most are used to. You need a tuning manual and a tuning jet kit, but worth the effort according to everyone I've talked to (I haven't done it myself). TomJ on here has done it and praises the Webers.

Moneywise, you'd be better off with a single four. The Clifford and the Offenhauser intakes are great. I'd use an Offy Dual Port for street performance and a 390-450 cfm carb (390 for stock or mild cam, 450 for a bit more cam, and even a 500-600 for a race motor). A pair of the smallest Motorcraft 2100s might be good, but the Webers would probably be a better choice. Use a pair of 32/36, maybe? Two 38s will probably be a bit large unless it's a full on race motor. A single 38 is a good performance choice for a mild 258. Weber says the 32/36 will increase performance on the 258, but that's when replacing the 1V carb. A pair ought to be nice!
Frank Swygert
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 10:45am
Thanx for all the replays

I want a car thats a little more funn to drive.. so i want a little more hp and torque
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 4:50pm
How hard are the 4bbl intakes to find? And are they a direct bold on for an early 70's 258? 
Gremmy Power!!!
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Kensey Kensey wrote:

How hard are the 4bbl intakes to find? And are they a direct bold on for an early 70's 258? 

They are readily available; new or used.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic