TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No power to Radio...Marlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No power to Radio...Marlin
    Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 8:32pm
I have a 67 Marlin that has been totally restored within the last 3 years. Last weekend I was at a car show and we were hit with a downpour, I did not notice any issues afterward but today I went out to use the car and my radio is not working same for the turn signals and backup lights, I checked the TSM and the wiring diagram shows all three go through the same fuse, I checked the fuse at the block and nothing, I also noticed when I tested the other circuits on the panel that the fuse next to the problem area is also dead, the other circuits are good (hot) I did not see any moisture around that area but am suspecting I have a bad fuse panel, there is no power to the top two circuits on the panel, the rest of the panel is working, any suggestions.
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by AMXAL AMXAL wrote:

I have a 67 Marlin that has been totally restored within the last 3 years. Last weekend I was at a car show and we were hit with a downpour, I did not notice any issues afterward but today I went out to use the car and my radio is not working same for the turn signals and backup lights, I checked the TSM and the wiring diagram shows all three go through the same fuse, I checked the fuse at the block and nothing, I also noticed when I tested the other circuits on the panel that the fuse next to the problem area is also dead, the other circuits are good (hot) I did not see any moisture around that area but am suspecting I have a bad fuse panel, there is no power to the top two circuits on the panel, the rest of the panel is working, any suggestions.

I'm not familiar with your wiring set up on that car but I'm assuming it's similar to mine. When you say nothing, do you mean fuse is fine and still no power to the panel?
AMXAL View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 11:18pm
Yes, there is no power to the fuse, the fuse is good, the 67 Marlin would be the same as an Ambassador or Rebel. but I would think this issue could be any model or year...thanks
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 4:46am
How about the heater fan or wipers, do they run ? You may have a connection or oxidation problem at the ignition switch. You may need to just clean terminals or contacts. Sounds like you lost accessory power which passes through a portion of the ignition switch.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:35am
I found this off matt's old cars, it's a diagram for a '66

Unfortunately no radio is listed, you don't have a pic of yours do you?

http://www.mattsoldcars.com/techinfo/images/66main.gif
AMXAL View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:39am
George,
You are correct, no wipers or heater blower, along with radio , back up lights or turn signals. guess its time to pull the switch and clean the terminals. Thanks
AMXAL View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:41am
Thanks for the diagram, I have one from my 67 TSM and have traced the curcuits, could not find a radio diagram in mine either.
MarlinSteve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlinSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 11:25am
Might be the fuse block. When I had a 67 Marlin and it rained hard water from the cowl would drip on the fuse block.

AMXAL View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:16pm
My thoughts now are split between the ignition switch and the fuse block, at this point having tested most of the wires coming and going to the fuse block I do not have power running from the switch to the block..thinking now a new switch is needed...thoughts?
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 5:38am
More likely to be the ignition switch itself or the connections at the switch. Sounds like the accessory terminal on the switch is not providing 12 volts when the switch is on.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic