TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 american 3sp column shift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 american 3sp column shift
    Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 6:56am
Found only one thread so I ask: Need to rebuild shift linkage as it is stuck in first gear and will not shift. Transmission fine, linkage bushes, etc. bad. Do I convert to floor shift or rebuild linkage? On the one thread I found aftermarket kits apparently are no good. Anyone converted column to floor recently with any success?    thanks
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 7:42am
I put a v8 in my 65 and put a floor shifter in it no trouble there I think you would have more fun with car with a floor shifter ,the only think you have is the linkage going to the tran
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 8:04am
I did it on my 64 and 69,  but a long time ago.  There were a lot more kits to chose from then,  but the ones I did chose were universal kits,  not specifically made for any transmission.  
 The one I got for the 64 was a Sparkomatic,  for the 69 a Fenton.   in their day neither were top line shifters.

The Fenton I drove for 18 years,  somewhere along the line I had to rebuild it,  I used bushings from a Hurst rebuild kit.  I might have had to redrill a hole or two to fit some of the bushings,  but the rebuild was a success.

Most shifter problems come from bad installation IMO,  but it will usually get blamed on the shifter.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

I put a v8 in my 65 and put a floor shifter in it no trouble there I think you would have more fun with car with a floor shifter ,the only think you have is the linkage going to the tran

forgot to mention....I do have a bench seat tho. Would like to put a v8 while changing to floor shift.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 8:38am
If you're going to put in a V8,  then you're surely not going to use the transmission in your car now ?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 9:20am
Putting a V8 in a '64 American opens a whole other can of worms.  You'll have to deal with engine and tranny cross members, wiring, driveshaft, rear differential, etc, etc.  Might be easier to find a pair of bucket seats that fit and then do the floor shift conversion.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 9:37am
My 64 had a bench seat,  and OD,  I had to do some creative bending on the shifter, and brackets to fit in a floorshift,  but it worked fine.

It was more trouble fitting it because of the OD than the bench seat.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 9:25am
I'm just going to fix my shift linkage and leave the rest alone. Keep it as original as I can I guess. I've never worked on transmissions so I'm wondering when I remove the steering column and shaft/rod is there anything inside the upper column at the shift lever that will possibly need
to be replaced/repaired?
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 10:47am
It is very likely simply an adjustment! Look at the piece that's on the lever of the tranny that the rod from the linkage goes into, it had nuts to adjust the length of the rod. As I remember you put the tranny in neutral and then adjust the rod length so that the shifter handle is "happy" in neutral as well.

My 59 American would get stuff in a gear every once in a while. I found that I could open the hood and grabbing the arms on the column that pull and push the rods and could pull it out of the stuck gear and back into neutral. 

One of the arms would be pushing the rod down and the other pulling the rod up. I would wrap my fingers under the one pushing down with the palm of my hand on the one pulling up and simply apply pressure pulling my fingers up on the arm and pushing down with my palm and it would pop out of the locked position and into neutral. 

I did this many times over a few years driving it. Then one day had to pull the transmission back when the clutch linkage broke and the throwout bearing was disloged and while under there doing that I found that one of the adjustments on rod at the tranny was loose! The nuts were backed off so the rod could move a bit before pushing the lever on the trans. I did a quick check for neutral and tightened the nut up and wham, I never had the problem again with the shifter locking.

And I drive this car every single day.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 12:01pm
going to try that tomorrow to see if it will work but I really believe its the bushings, etc., at the bottom of the steering column that I'm going to have to rebuild/replace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic