TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1972 Javelin Power to Manual Steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Javelin Power to Manual Steering
    Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Wish I would have seen this earlier, I have a GOOD manual box from a 69 Javelin, pitman and all sitting in my shop. I doubt I'll ever use it. My brother converted his 69 to power and I got the parts he removed.
But I see you have already found everything you needed...... 

will that box work in a 68 Rogue ? 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 6:52am
I can still hear the complaints in my head when someone had to move my manual steering, manual transmission Javelin for me one night LOL

"How do you drive that piece of crap?" LOL

^something I would hear a lot more of later when all my daily drivers were hacked up/lifted Jeeps Clap

I would love to have a manual steering daily driver again, but I'm not as strong as I was 30 years ago Ouch
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 10:42am
Wish I would have seen this earlier, I have a GOOD manual box from a 69 Javelin, pitman and all sitting in my shop. I doubt I'll ever use it. My brother converted his 69 to power and I got the parts he removed.
But I see you have already found everything you needed...... 

pi71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pi71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 10:08am
I installed the manual box from the 70 Javelin onto my 72. I didnt need any adapter brackets from the ps unit. I did need a spacer for one of the bolts. I did use the manual ragjoint.  The manual box was not threaded so i had to use nuts but all in all pretty easy swap.  

Edited by pi71 - Nov/14/2017 at 2:35pm
pi71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pi71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 9:46am
update on this. i obtained a manual box from a 70 javelin, with pitman arm and rag joint. Ill be attempting to swap out my ps on my 72 jav. hope it works. ill keep you posted for future searches.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 1:29pm
Thanks for the clarification. It matters to others but I didn't know because my collector vehicles will more than likely always be older than 1970. I guess it is what one grows up with as a kid.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Steering wheels go on in any position, do they not? That should take care of any 'clocking' problems.

The steering wheel will go on any position, very true.  HOWEVER, on manual steering box the shaft is rag joint shaft is smaller, so you need a different rag joint (smaller diameter on Manual steering).

Secondly, on a 70 up Saginaw Steering Column there is a lock plate under the steering wheel, the lock plate has a master spline, which then "clocks" the Horn slip ring and contact pin to the steering wheel, which has a hole in about 10 o'clock position.  The main steering shaft at the steering wheel side has a strike mark in it, that is supposed to be at 12 o'clock, when wheel is installed.  Once it is centered up top, turn the key to the off position and the column is now locked centered.

Next the steering box must be Centered in its movement from full left to full right.......put it in the center and the rag joint which on Manual Steering cars has no master spline, should be installed at that locked column location, with box centered.  If this is not followed you can end up with a "uncenterable" steering wheel, with car in correct alignment (toe) and can not be corrected by the tie rod end adjustment sleeves.

I hope this makes sense.

On Power Steering cars, it has a master spline, dictated by the rag joint spline squeeze bolt, that keeps the box in relative close alignment.  

One extra note, none of this pertains to a 69 and prior car, since they do not have the steering column locking plate to cause alignment issues.

Edited by 401MATCOUPE - Aug/22/2017 at 5:19pm
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 2:27pm
20 years ago my little gremlin had power steering. Then I read an article about loosing horsepower to extra pulleys, a.c. too. So I removed that junk.

My steering box I looped a piece of the hose I cut from the pump into the other fitting on the box. And wah la.. manual steering.
Do what you want, but for zero dollars ^ that's what I did
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 12:37pm
Steering wheels go on in any position, do they not? That should take care of any 'clocking' problems.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 10:22am
I think the ragjoint is different, and the Pittman arm is different. You need the aluminium spacer and the correct bolts as well... I did this swap..but in my case it was a 1972 Gremlin box into a 80 AMX.. It bolted right in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic