TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

overheating (?) issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gd5052 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gd5052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overheating (?) issues
    Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 9:45am
060 overbore isn't helping matters
gd5052 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gd5052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 9:44am
tdkask View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdkask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 7:35pm
Sorry for the lack of responses or updates.

It is boiling the carb at about 195 or so.

I have since blocked off the exhaust crossover and replaced the 3/8" phenolic spacer with a ¾" hard rubber spacer. I've also moved the radiator a little closer to the fan (now 1/2" between them) and relocated the trans cooler. I'm not sure how much difference the spacer has made, as I can now keep my hand on the intake. Carb stays reasonable, and not as hot as intake. Also, temps never reach 190° either. Seems to be resolved. I haven't had a chance to really test though. I just got it all back together today and need a thermostat gasket before driving.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 6:56pm
Any update?
Mike
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 3:31pm
You can use a piece of thin sheet metal to block off the exhaust crossmember -- one on each side.
Could be non-vented fuel cap...
Frank Swygert
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 12:30pm
Run the engine with the fuel cap open. This sounds strangely like a non-vented cap problem.
Mike
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 12:07pm
How hot is it getting when it overheats?? Pegging the gauge??
tdkask View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdkask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 11:20am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I see you are running the stock style fuel filter with a return line. Try plugging the return line, or replacing the filter with one that does not have a return line.
I started that way. I added in the filter with the bleedoff as an attempt to alleviate the issues.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 10:47am
I see you are running the stock style fuel filter with a return line. Try plugging the return line, or replacing the filter with one that does not have a return line.
tdkask View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdkask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 8:29am
An air gap isn't in the budget at this point. Also, there's only a couple weeks of cold-ish weather here in S. GA. However, I don't have the ability to weld aluminum. I wonder if that steel putty stuff would work? Or maybe some kind of block off between heads and intake?

I'll be getting a much taller spacer in today and addressing the cooling. Got to get some improvement here. I'm missing out on all the fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic