TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Virgin r12 freon value?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virgin r12 freon value?
    Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 6:55pm
I have a sealed 30 lb jug of Virgin Genetron r12 Freon that I saved back in 1994, still in the original box.

I am not going to use it myself. So what is the fair market value?
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 7:25pm
I have a full 30# can, too, in the box. I have been told that it is worth about $600.
My father had two cans that he bought when it was still available. I wanted one but for a long time he would not part with it. Finally he gave one to his furnace guy and was supposed to get something in return but got nothing. He gave the other one to me, but by that time I had converted everything I owned over to R-134A. Still got it just in case. If I need it, I have it and $600 is not enough money to change my life.
To legally sell it you have to have a refrigerant certificate. That is, to sell it legally. Whatever.

Edited by 6768rogues - Jul/23/2017 at 7:30pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 9:19pm
I've got two full 30# R-12 cylinders. I guess if I can't sell it then I'll use it.   
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 9:23pm
Smile My understanding was you can sell it, but only to those licensed to use it...
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 5:46am
Pat...a automotive supply store can only sell to a licensed MACS Certified Automotive Mechanic.  The idea is that a licensed mechanic knows you have to use a reclaimer and other "rules" in air conditioning service.  Selling or trade privately is your business, not sure of legality.....I never have to worry for I have license and reclaimer. The EPA gets you when you buy Freon R-12 and don't have a registered machine in your name or at your shop.  Instant $25K fine........I know of a local shop that actually closed up because of it.  As far as price, it has come way down, 5 years ago it was hitting the $1000 mark for a 30lb container, but now is around $500-600.......but call your local auto parts store, they should give you price.....you just can't buy it without license.  Hope this helps.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 5:53am
Plus, Pat lives in CA. They would definitely keep an eye on you.  They are on the way just because you mentioned R-12Wink.
In the DC metro area people are asking 500 to 800 for a full #30 bottle.  I don't see them getting the upper price range.  There seems to be plenty still in private hands.  

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 6:47am
R12 from my understanding is disastrous to the ozone layer with each molecule of freon knocking out hundreds of O3 molecules. I don't know how it should be safely taken care of but it should no longer be used for air conditioning.  Just something I learned from an environmental course some years ago. Got grand kids?
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 7:40am
Our HVAC tech where I worked used to be a dealership AC tech. When he attended the required training seminar the instructor made the statement that the main cause of Freon being released into the atmosphere was techs simply venting the systems. As he always told the story, he proceeded to get into a heated argument with the instructor as he maintained that majority of people brought their AC in for service because the Freon had already leaked out!
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 7:46am
Exactly, once in a system it will probably eventually escape. I don't know much about servicing air conditioning but if it comes in empty or anytime it gets serviced why not change over to the R134?
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 1:49pm
I could be wrong, perhaps you can sell it without a certificate to someone who is certified. I have converted a few systems to modern refrigerant and they have worked well. That said, if I had a valuable classic car that used it, I would keep using it. The systems that were designed for it work very well at reasonably low pressures. Remember that "Desert Only" setting?
I have had a couple of systems get a little low, just enough to trip out the low pressure switch. In almost 50 years of driving, I have only had one instance of a system having a catastrophic failure and being completely empty. I guess it happens when cars are crashed. Getting it in the atmosphere could be either leaks or techs venting it. Which is worse is not worth an argument.

Edited by 6768rogues - Jul/24/2017 at 1:54pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic