TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

vinyl dye for seats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vinyl dye for seats
    Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 8:51am
In dyeing my faded seats on my 64 American, I've encountered a problem. I've prepped my seats with either alcohol or vinyl prep spray from leathertech and after spraying with custom mixed vinyl paint, some areas on the bottom seat remain tacky (sticky) two days later. What gives? Maybe I'm impatient but some areas are perfect and the middle inserts where the butt fits is tacky. I think the seats have been previously paint sprayed and my dye is reacting to that. don't know.   
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 9:07am
Could be the vinyl prep spray. The ppg interior paint that I had mixed for my 65 Riviera only required a mild cleaning soap and water and a good drying. The paint would adhere as long as there was no oils on the plastic or vinyl.

I can't say if your paint came In a can, but sometimes premixed cans require a good shaking or are too thick. Which reminds me of my first experience painting an interior, which I had to thin 2 to 1, for quick drying and clean results...

I remember, when I thinned it up for air brush work, i splashed it when dropping my lid on ground after a need to refill. It dyed my white leather shoes and the latex painted panel boarder along the wall. My shoes were well used, and both surfaces were dotted with a strong blue paint splatter.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 10:46am
I'm going to try a section using just soap and water to see if that works better.   thanks
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 12:55pm
If there are oils or contaminants like Amor All left on the vinyl it can react with the vinyl spray with some pretty interesting results. Many of the vinyl spray kits have their own special cleaners and prep for best results.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 1:33pm
I use SEM soap, then SEM prep, and then SEM color. Are all your components from the same manufacturer?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 2:04pm
I have used acetone as a prep for SEM spray can products with good results. Quick wipe down and spray over it.

Thanks!

Chris
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 2:30pm
Before I used vinyl dye on my interior, I was told to clean it, clean it again, and again, and when I was done cleaning it, clean it some more. Smile Many solvents, like Varsol, leave residue, so the final solvent application should be a good wax and grease remover as used for body prep before paint. Then use the vinyl prep.

I did the dash and A-pillar trim on my Javelin and, after about fifteen years, the vinyl dye (SEM custom colour ) has not lifted at all.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 8:02am
thanks to all the replies. I tried all suggested including acetone and that stuff took some previous paint off the seat. So I will clean and clean again. I have to ask, what is SEM paint. I went to a local custom paint store and had my dye customed mixed to match the interior color using the backside of the door panels where there was no fade. $32/rattle can. So far used two cans out of three. Need two more. I suck at repairing splits/tears in the vinyl, but it won't be a trailer queen anyway.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 9:52am
SEM is a brand name. Their Color Coat vinyl spray is excellent, as is their "chassis black" paint for metal.

My local paint store also made me a custom batch of Color Coat that matched the original color of my AMX interior exactly.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 9:54am
That is the reason I said quick wipe down with the acetone! It will take off the previous colour if you go over it. I had a PO (poorly)spray my tan interior with black, so I had to strip the black as best I could. Then, once I had the black mostly gone I used SEM. I have also used the acetone as a quick wipe down before touching up. It has worked well in both cases with the SEM being quick drying and no adhesion issues.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic