TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 cross-member to I-6 mounts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 cross-member to I-6 mounts?
    Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:03am
I think this is the right section but if not I am sorry.

OK.. crazy question.. but here it goes... 

Has anyone ever made adapters to mount an I-6 258 to a V8 cross-member without cutting anything up? 

Just curious... because if this was possible.. I'd like to install a V8 cross-member during my front end rebuild and then install the I6 back into the engine bay temporarily. If this were to be able to happen... then I wouldn't have to swap the I6 cross-member out later.. I'd just remove the adapter brackets and put the v8 stuff back on. 

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:15am
I really don't see any market and to have them custom made to fit proper will be costly.

I6 cross members are easy to find and probably will be cheaper to buy. Just obtain an I6 cross member and install it for the I6. Keep your v8 one for later.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:23am
OK.. I know.. I agree not many people would want something like this but I just thought I'd ask...

I was going to just get the Bull Tear mounts but then there were a handful of guys saying they were having problems with them... then I  ended up with a really good deal on the V8 cross member.. so I couldn't pass it up. I've been told that swapping out the cross member wouldn't be too bad but I thought if I could put it in during the front end rebuild... I wouldn't have to do it again later. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:34am
The mounts for I6 and V8 crossmembers are completely different. It will require custom modification(s) to the mounting brackets and probably major surgery via cutting and welding. IMHO, it will in essence render the V8 crossmember worthless once you are done. The Bulltear mounts work well on 66 - 69 American I6 crossmembers. 65 and earlier I6 crossmembers had different mounting brackets and will require modifications and shims to make the Bulltear mounts fit exactly as they must.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Jul/17/2017 at 9:37am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

The mounts for I6 and V8 crossmembers are completely different. It will require custom modification to the mounting brackets and probably major surgery via cutting and welding. IMHO, it will in essence render the V8 crossmember worthless once you are done. The Bulltear mounts work well on 66 - 69 American I6 crossmembers. 65 and earlier I6 crossmembers had different mounting brackets and will require modifications and shims to make the Bulltear mounts fit exactly as they must.

I suspected as much.. thanks a lot! I guess I will have to settle for swapping the mount later! Thanks! 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 1:57pm
You're welcome.  Best of luck on your project!  I have grown to really appreciate and like the Concord.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 2:03pm

You're welcome.  Best of luck on your project!  I have grown to really appreciate and like the Concord.

Thank you.

Yes.. I have had mine since I was in high school. Still in really good shape. I was always just really proud to have any AMC. The Concord is the most basic of all AMC cars but it will always be my favorite! I always get stopped at gas stations or on the road because people want to talk about it. They usually remember a family member having one.. or an Eagle... and talk fondly of it. I think its just a good utilitarian car that reminds people of the old days. When friends of mine from high school remember I had that car in high school they always say... I can't believe you still have that car! 23 years and counting! The bottom line is.. the Concord will be the last AMC car anyone will appreciate but by the time they do... they will finally be all gone... so get em' while you can boys/girls! A two door Concord is nothing but the poor man's SC 360 Hornet! ;) 
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 6:44pm
Nobody is swapping I6's into V8 cars, so no demand.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
SportaboutX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

A two door Concord is nothing but the poor man's SC 360 Hornet! ;) 

My sentiments exactly. I love my 73 Hornet coupe with swapped in 401. The car, engine, conversion parts, etc cost me under $3k. The general public/car people love it, they can't believe that the big Jeep 6.6 v8 not only fit in there, but did so with all OEM parts. Its a hoot to drive. Don't let the SC snobs on this site get you down. In the real world no one cares about the difference, and any AMC is a darn cool car, esp a small one with a big V8 Wink
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by SportaboutX SportaboutX wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

A two door Concord is nothing but the poor man's SC 360 Hornet! ;) 

My sentiments exactly. I love my 73 Hornet coupe with swapped in 401. The car, engine, conversion parts, etc cost me under $3k. The general public/car people love it, they can't believe that the big Jeep 6.6 v8 not only fit in there, but did so with all OEM parts. Its a hoot to drive. Don't let the SC snobs on this site get you down. In the real world no one cares about the difference, and any AMC is a darn cool car, esp a small one with a big V8 Wink

Oh I'm not mad at anyone.. I'm just saying... there are a lot of good AMC cars out there! I really enjoy my Concord. I hope to enjoy it even more with a v8 someday! I like all cars... regardless of brand.. but AMC's are what I grew up around and I like them more than a lot of others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic