TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition and alternator light wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition and alternator light wiring
    Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 11:33pm
Began to tackle cleaning up some wiring and converting to a Delco 12SI 3 wire on my 71 Javelin and have a couple of questions.

The wiring is an absolute mess, the previous owner had a real interesting approach to it. Wire nuts under the dash but for the engine harness he preferred twisting wires together and then electrical taping them. My favorite part were the three wires twisted together all the way back to the fuse panel and then tied on the fuse panel in a knot with a finishing touch of, you guessed it, electrical tape.  

Anyway, I have everything wired up besides the alternator #1 terminal, and the ignition wire from the starter relay to the fuse panel. The orange wire is cut right after the voltage regulator connector so not sure how the Motorola was charging before. The new wire I need to run to replace it should go to "bat feed" on the fuse panel, correct?

Lastly the yellow/pink ignition wire is also cut, I don't even see any pink trying to trace what's left. I'm using an HEI MSD ready to run distributor, according to the manual this was a resistor wire. Do I still need some sort of resistor inline since I'm not running points? There was a ballast resistor sitting on the firewall but nothing was connected to it which is also interesting.

Thanks
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 4:07am
Hi,

As for the electronic ignition... no resistance wire is needed. Unless the choice of coil requires some resistance.

Always check coil info from manufacturers site and electronic distributor as well. Knowing nothing of the setup and assuming sometimes may throw a curve.

Delco 10 si should be straight forward. Charge output to battery side of solenoid, case ground, charge indication to bulb, and ignition terminal to excite field terminal.

The image below is the best way to install. Many on the net show the bypass from battery to the S terminal, which keeps the unit on, in a standby type mode.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/17/2017 at 4:19am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Coil is a MSD master blaster 2, according to their site it's supposed to take a full 12 volts. Looks like I got it wired up right so far according to the pic, thanks. Now the #1 is the only thing I'm not clear on, I know it goes to the warning light but which is the specific terminal on the fuse panel?

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 3:07pm
Yellow from the bulbs go to the 4A fuse named gauges on the fuse panel. Should be the corner terminal.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Yellow from the bulbs go to the 4A fuse named gauges on the fuse panel. Should be the corner terminal.

Awesome thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic