TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat 69 javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 8:03pm
thanks akimmet for the link on headers I was able to stop my order for now. it looks like maybe I should get the d103 instead of the d104 my moter is going to be a 420 stroker but even with the smaller 103 mods are necessary and 104s hang lower I guess
thanks Pat
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 8:56pm
Did you measure how much more of a tire can fit now? 

Gotta save a few bucks but I can see that this in my future.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
Brootal View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brootal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:25pm
This is brilliant. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort.
amxautox View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxautox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

Yes, next batch is moving along. I have a batch of 6 kits currently in process.
Top brackets, and bottom brackets are all completed, and I have all the bent DOM tubing and hardware for the upper control arms, and I'll get those finished up in the next few weeks.
I'll be sending an email as kits become available.
Stay tuned.

I'm using the stock '69 SST steering box. I'm actually looking at upgrading to a quicker ratio box, so if anyone has a recommendation on which one to get please let me know.

Thanks
Mike

I'm using a pump and box from the Jeep place in Texas, it would take me hours to find the name of the place. It's a later tear dop shaped pump. High pressure, and 12:1 ratio, works great on the autocross course, but a bit quick on the street, but ok. Yes I've had an emergency manuvour thanks to a dumb chevy suv driver halfway into my lane on a mountain curve.

Does your setup lower the car at all? I've already lowered my '69 AMX 1" front and rear, and don't want to change that.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Aljav Aljav wrote:

Did you measure how much more of a tire can fit now? 

Gotta save a few bucks but I can see that this in my future.

Allan

You can fit a 4.5-inch backspace wheel with this. And there are no longer limitations with tire clearance on that wheel.

With the stock suspension the limit was a 4 inch backspace wheel and you were limited to the tire size too. If the tire was too large it would rub on the trunnion and/or spring. I was able to go from a 215/45-17 to a 245/45-17 on a 17x8-inch wheel.

On the outside I don't have my wheel lip modified, but even with that I could do a 9-inch wide wheel, as long as it has 4.5 inches of backspace and move to a 255/40-17.
You may be able to do a 275/40-17 with a custom 9.5-inch wide wheel. But you would definitely need to do some work to the outer wheel lip.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by amxautox amxautox wrote:

Top brackets, and bottom brackets are all completed, and I have all the bent DOM tubing and hardware for the upper control arms, and I'll get those finished up in the next few weeks.
Stay tuned.

I'm using the stock '69 SST steering box. I'm actually looking at upgrading to a quicker ratio box, so if anyone has a recommendation on which one to get please let me know.

Thanks
Mike

I'm using a pump and box from the Jeep place in Texas, it would take me hours to find the name of the place. It's a later tear dop shaped pump. High pressure, and 12:1 ratio, works great on the autocross course, but a bit quick on the street, but ok. Yes I've had an emergency manuvour thanks to a dumb chevy suv driver halfway into my lane on a mountain curve.

Does your setup lower the car at all? I've already lowered my '69 AMX 1" front and rear, and don't want to change that.

Thanks for the info on the steering box ratio your using.
The ride height is adjustable with spring preload. Ideally you set up the car so the lower control arm pivot points are horizontal, however depending on where you drive or how low your headers hang down, etc... that may not be practical.
amxautox View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxautox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 4:10pm

Originally posted by amxautox amxautox wrote:

Stay tuned.

Thanks
Mike

Thanks for the info on the steering box ratio your using.
The ride height is adjustable with spring preload. Ideally you set up the car so the lower control arm pivot points are horizontal, however depending on where you drive or how low your headers hang down, etc... that may not be practical.
Actually I'm not using headers, I'm using the high flow manifolds. My engine is set up for autocross, so it doesn't need the capacity of headers. And thanks for the info.

Edited by amxautox - Sep/18/2017 at 4:46pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:35am
I get to do some more "testing" this weekend
It's the last Autocross of the year.
Another customer will be there too, so we will have 2 AMC's represented!
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 9:15am
Good luck and be sure to take pics this weekend! 

I'll let you know about the 275 fitment once I get the kit installed on the AMX!
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 11:23am
Where do you "test". What group are you associated with?
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic