TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric Fuel Pump Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 7:58pm

Thanks for the tip, Keith. Just yesterday I put some pieces of rubber hose over parts of the metal fuel line that run close to the engine, but too early to know if it helped or not.  I'll check out "Cool Tube".

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 3:59pm
My car sits for extended periods of time and it always took a lot of cranking to get it started.  When I first built the engine, I sourced an electric oil pump from Mallory to pre-lube the engine.  I have also now added a Carter electric fuel pump spliced into the fuel line at the tank.  I mounted the pump outside of the passenger compartment in case of any leaks. It's mounted to the floor pan where it kicks up behind the rear seat. It's a little noisy, but I only need it to prime the fuel system or for engaging in authorized speed contests. LOL.  Carter is a good brand, been around as long as I can remember and is trouble free.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 2:28am
It really seems like there are issues external to the mechanical fuel pump itself assuming it's in good working order. But if you do use an electric pump, why not just block off the mechanical pump altogether and run the electric pump. If you're concerned about failure, carry a cheap spare to get you home.

In any case, I run a 3 pole oil pressure switch. Power out terminal (P) connects to fuel pump or fuel pump relay (preferred), normally open (I) terminal connects to ignition switch ignition circuit, normally closed (S) terminal connects to the starter solenoid for power when cranking. When power is applied during cranking, the power goes through the closed switch to the fuel pump. When running, the oil pressure closes the normally open switch sending power from the ignition switch to the fuel pump. If the engine dies for any reason or oil pressure gets dangerously low, the fuel pump will shut off. An inertia switch inline to the fuel pump relay or pump itself could be an additional fail safe.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic