TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pitman Arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pitman Arm
    Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 11:52pm
Hello. I'm looking for a pitman arm for my 72 Matador. I'd love a NOS one but would settle for mine being rebuilt. I recall reading about a shop that recoes them but can't remember where. I'm about to do some suspension rebushing and would like to do the arm at the same time. I've called and emailed the Sydney boys with all the parts but I've heard nothing back from them. The car has power steering. Thanks, Mick.
71 Matador 360/Auto
77 HZ One Tonner 350/T400
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 5:45pm
Hi Mick. Bob Freeman from Adelaide was rebuilding them but I am not sure if he still does them. He did close the business but still had some parts and services there for awhile. I got a couple from him for my Hornet years ago but I wasn't 100% happy with the look of them and just keeping them as emergency spares for in years to come when even harder to find new one's. GremX did send me an email a few years back with part numbers for our arms but I cant find it. With that info I was able to easily find some manual steering pitman arm and idler arms for my Hornet. I still have Bob's number somewhere and will text it to you if you wish to go that way but we will try to find what the actual part number is and chase some new one's up. I wonder why Steve from RamblerSpares hasn't contacted you back? C'mon Steve have a go :-)

Edited by 70Hornet - Jul/10/2017 at 5:55pm
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 5:50pm
From an earlier thread you had back in 2015 :-)

http://theamcforum.com/forum/rhd-pitman-arm-keep-me-on-the-road-please_topic71567.html?KW=Pitman+arm

There is a guy in Vic - Mick Robinson - we reconditions balljoints, pitman and idler arms for Dodge Phoenix(es):
http://www.dodgeparts.com.au/?product=dodge-phoenix-idler-arm-1965-to-1971
mick gill View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 11:56pm
Thanks Jase. Will look into this arvo mate. Cheers bud.
71 Matador 360/Auto
77 HZ One Tonner 350/T400
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by 70Hornet 70Hornet wrote:

Hi Mick. Bob Freeman from Adelaide was rebuilding them but I am not sure if he still does them. He did close the business but still had some parts and services there for awhile. I got a couple from him for my Hornet years ago but I wasn't 100% happy with the look of them and just keeping them as emergency spares for in years to come when even harder to find new one's. GremX did send me an email a few years back with part numbers for our arms but I cant find it. With that info I was able to easily find some manual steering pitman arm and idler arms for my Hornet. I still have Bob's number somewhere and will text it to you if you wish to go that way but we will try to find what the actual part number is and chase some new one's up. I wonder why Steve from RamblerSpares hasn't contacted you back? C'mon Steve have a go :-)

Bob has gone - no longer having anything to do with cars. He didn't do any of the work anyway, so he was only the middle man.
These are one of the hardest replacement parts to find. Is yours really bad ? I have some used ones that I've saved because of this. They are hard to test, even putting them in a vice you can't duplicate turning a 1-1/2 ton car with a big spanner.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 8:13pm

Here's the pitman arm article I wrote

AMC_Pitman_&_Idler_Arms.pdf

Edited by 74gremx - Jul/12/2017 at 9:34pm
1970 Javelin 360/727
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 8:59pm
The only problem is that it looks like Moog K-3038 is out of production so you re looking for NOS. Interchange parts are possibly Affina FA465 and Rare Parts 20104, but still looking for a needle in a haystack.

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 5:01am
looks like WesternRed is onto something there which will be a big help for all the owners out there with power steering etc

Pic on this link shows what looks like the correct item. If it turns out to be correct Mick let everyone know for sure

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/11370389/rareparts-20104.html
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 6:48am
I don't think they actually have them at yoyopart, it's just a reference. I stumbled onto an idler arm on US ebay, but they are pretty hard to find too.
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 7:19am
They have 8000 of them allegley ?
1970 Javelin 360/727
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic