TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mend waterpump DIY?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

waterpumpman in Michigan did one for me a few months ago and i'm very happy with the service.

Contacted WaterPumpMan and was quoted $109 plus shipping to rebuild mine.  Similar price as the AMC vendors except also have to pay to ship it to him.  I wonder if the rebuilt pumps from the AMC vendors comes with the AMC part number on it?  All mine has is 30657A which I believe is a TRW casting, but I don't see any AMC numbers on it.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 3:36pm
As impressive as you guys are with your numbers matching original restorations, I'm glad I can't afford to go to those lengths with mine. I remember someone once lamenting losing a few points for having an incorrect battery cable. He was frantically searching high and low for one before the next show.

Granted, I LOVE seeing a beautiful, meticulous restoration and have the utmost respect for the hard work and hours of effort that goes into such a masterpiece. But my AMC/Edelbrock/MSD/Aeromotive/QFT/everything else daily driver sure is easy to maintain, comparatively.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

As impressive as you guys are with your numbers matching original restorations, I'm glad I can't afford to go to those lengths with mine. I remember someone once lamenting losing a few points for having an incorrect battery cable. He was frantically searching high and low for one before the next show.

Granted, I LOVE seeing a beautiful, meticulous restoration and have the utmost respect for the hard work and hours of effort that goes into such a masterpiece. But my AMC/Edelbrock/MSD/Aeromotive/QFT/everything else daily driver sure is easy to maintain, comparatively.

So true.  Mine will not be 100% numbers matching correct either.  Where it can be and it is reasonable I am going that route.  In this case, you can't find the correct water pump anyway, so sending the core out for rebuild is the best/safest route for me to go.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 3:45pm
If I had my shop press when I was in a rush to get my car running a few years ago, I probably would have kept the receipt to my Edelbrock water pump and rebuilt the factory 1969 pump. I didn't consider using a reputable rebuilder at the time. Seems like a good option.

Come to think of it, I may try rebuilding the old pump now. Good practice for future projects. Good Luck!!!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 6:43am
Originally posted by DoughertyAMX DoughertyAMX wrote:

Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

waterpumpman in Michigan did one for me a few months ago and i'm very happy with the service.

Contacted WaterPumpMan and was quoted $109 plus shipping to rebuild mine.  Similar price as the AMC vendors except also have to pay to ship it to him.  I wonder if the rebuilt pumps from the AMC vendors comes with the AMC part number on it?  All mine has is 30657A which I believe is a TRW casting, but I don't see any AMC numbers on it.

The 30657A is a TRW replacement.....a very high quality unit but they have been around forever.  The AMC casting numbered one is very hard to see numbers, since they are very small, indented adn typically light.  A lot of times you can not see them until you blast the unit clean.

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic