TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

widest tires possible (rambler hornet)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first car Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: widest tires possible (rambler hornet)
    Posted: Feb/13/2009 at 2:01am
Hi,
Am 16 and dad just bought me my first car, a RAMBLER HORNET!

I have stripped it down ready to paint and would like to put the
WIDEST TYRES POSSIBLE ON THE BACK.

any information would be great.

Thanks...

Joel
First car "rambler hornet"
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2009 at 11:04am
I ran 295x50x15's on my 73 Hatchback, but I had to use lift shackles to clear them. I'm running 29x18x15's on my 77 AMX, but this car is tubbed.  9" wide is about your max with the correct backspaced rims.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
first car View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first car Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 1:46am
Bugga! was wanting 10's to fit on and still have it lowered.

Thanks mate, mine is a 72.
First car "rambler hornet"
RGBJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGBJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2009 at 5:46am
  I also ended up running 295/50/R15's on my  '77 HornetAMX.  When I swapped the original Hornet 'AMC 20' rear-end out for a 68-70 AMX / Javelin posi equipted unit, I did gain a little bit of inside room,  like 3/4" per side?? Something like that.

ProStreetAMX said it, finding the right Backspace/Offset Rim is the key.

I don't recall those perticular numbers anymore, but I was using a 15"x 8.5" wheel.  I do remember taking clearence measurements at one time that would have allowed a 15"x 10" wheel,  if the extra 1.5" was to the inside. 

What really allowed me to get away with it was the excellent, custom, leaf spring paks that a drinking buddy came up with. Being that he was a suspension fabricator a "Charley's Drop Shoppe" along with some good KYB Shocks kept any possible interference under control.  Only with a couple of chicks in the back-seat or a maybe a pair of 15" Audio Cabinets loaded in the hatch would I get the occasional, minor brushing of the tire on the upper inside edge of the rear factory urethane fender flare.
jmatlick View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmatlick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2009 at 9:10pm
Would there be any way you could post a pic of what the 73 hornet looks like with the wheels you have on them, and if you know the backspacing that would be great as well. I have a 74 that Im looking to put some 15x8 cragar ss rims on and I would kinda like to see what they look like with a tire like that. If you could help me out with this I would appreciate it very much, it would save me alot of money and hassle i think. Let me know, thank you sir!
jmatlick View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmatlick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2009 at 9:14pm
Or I guess if you have a pic of your 77 hornet from the rear, that would be a good reference pic as well..
Hawk401 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawk401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2009 at 10:02am
dont know if this helps but...
79 spirit
amc 20 rear from amx
255/50-16 mickeys and caltracs
torque thrust w4inch backspace
dont know if your goin for looks or performance but could prob fit a 275 but this tire gets traction and this car runs low 12 about 450hp with 4 spd.Approve
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2009 at 10:15am

Here is my 73 from the rear.
and here is my 77 AMX. There are more better angled pics in my Photobucket albums. Just do a search for ProstreetAMX's albums and look around.

Edited by prostreetamx - Apr/26/2009 at 10:20am
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2009 at 10:23am
Trying to post a different pic of the same wheels and tires on my other cars. 82 Concord. Donohue

Edited by prostreetamx - Apr/26/2009 at 10:31am
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
jmatlick View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmatlick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2009 at 10:31am
Thank you both for the pics and info, pretty much answered my questions and gave me even a little more insight to what I want. Thanks again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic