TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mini-split AC system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 6:58pm
I've been installing these for years.
I just did a hole house with mini splits
I put them in shipping containers for offices.
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 11:13pm
How does the washable filter in the mini split deal with the welding smoke, dust and other air contaminants that occur in a busy shop?

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2017 at 6:35am
You wash it more than the standard once a year. There are other filters that remove allergens and odors you'd need to replace sooner.
I don't weld that often. I do use the chop saw, torch, etc. as well as sanding and so on. They did suggest shutting it down when painting or heavy sanding with a whole lot of dust.
Much of my work is grinding, polishing and so on. Plating won't bother but the powder coating sure will!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2017 at 11:24am
I owned a house in Mexico several years ago, and these systems were common-place down there. At the time they weren't being sold in the U.S. and I always wondered why.   Finally they are gaining acceptance here.  

I put one in a commercial building I own two years ago and it's worked out fine.  We'd added a couple of offices to it and needed a way to heat and cool them without disrupting the HVAC in the rest of the building.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

WayneHenley View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHenley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 7:30am
Thanks for sharing you experience. One of my friends recently installed split ac, but it was not installed correctly and due that he was facing problem. Please suggest best mini-split air conditioning repairs nj services, which are affordable as well as reliable. To get more details have a look here at : http://allweekairconditioning.com/ductless-air-conditioning-mini-split-service.html

Edited by WayneHenley - Jul/10/2017 at 7:33am
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by WayneHenley WayneHenley wrote:

Thanks for sharing you experience. One of my friends recently installed split ac, but it was not installed correctly and due that he was facing problem. Please suggest best mini-split air conditioning repairs nj services, which are affordable as well as reliable. To get more details have a look here at : http://allweekairconditioning.com/ductless-air-conditioning-mini-split-service.html

This might have changed now that they have become more popular, but previously I thought that most of the major U.S. manufacturers sourced their mini-splits from Mitsubishi (Japan) or China.  In any case, the one we installed is a Trane, and it has been trouble-free.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 6:48pm
These are being installed by the thousands here in australia, but not for car storage due to the design of our sheds. My shed can get to 44 degrees centigrade in summer so nothing gets done.
I have an LG brand in my home office and it's great. Compressor ramps up and down on demand using the inverter.
I work in air cond and the most popular is Daikin and mitsubishi by far, but I got the lg on price and its been fine.
Where I am in adelaide its called the Athens of the South so you can work out our temperature range

Dave
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 6:23pm
I'm an HVAC guy by trade, and put ductless units in frequently. If you do some wood working in the shop, don't be stingy about cleaning the filters. Dirty filters are a good way to smash the valves in the compressor. A/C in the garage is mandatory as far as I'm concerned.
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 7:15pm
I'm going down to Little Rock AR to install a Fujitsu in a shipping container on a barge .

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 7:41pm
I wonder what you would have charged to come to Iowa to install one......  ;-)

I love this unit. It's not that expensive to run and keeps the moisture out - and that's the biggest thing. And yes on the dust - the wood shop above generates a lot of dust. Luckily not that much filters down but enough. I have an air filter up there I can run that really cleans the fine dust out of the air. It's three speed and has a timer so I can turn it on and let it run for however long I choose to get the dust out even after I have left. 

I will have to set up reminders to check the filters every so often - as the blast cabinets contribute dust and powder coating is even worse since I don't have a space dedicated to that as of yet. 
My longer term plan is to enclose the lean-to and make a room for blasting and powder coating - with a filter system, exhaust, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic