TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler Super 1960 transmission swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocoyombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rambler Super 1960 transmission swap
    Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 7:27am
I own an old Rambler Super 1960 196 engine 3-spd manual. Im trying to customize the transmission to a S10 t 5 BW transmission. Im missing the original shift rods and hardware on the original  T-96 tranny . Will it fit in  my car and what do I have to  modify it  if any. thank you
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 8:42am
Is it a Rambler Six Super, or A Rambler American Super?
It matters a lot because the Rambler American would be a open drive line, and the Rambler six is a torque tube drive shaft,  the first is a lot easier to convert.

You'll need a bellhousing to transmission adapter, no mater which it is,  and it doesn't matter about losing the  shift rods from the old transmission, because you won't be able to use them on any 5 speed,  you'll have to go to a floor shift.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
mocoyombe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocoyombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 8:49am
thank you . It is the full size Rambler Classic Super for 1960. I can not find the shift rods and thats why Im trying to convert the tranny and I heard that an S10 T 5 wiil work on the floor.

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 9:12am
You need a bellhousing to trans adapter.

Since you car has a torque tube rear end, about the only way you can convert to that S10 transmission is to convert to a open driveline rear end.

There has been a lot of discussions on how to do this on this forum,  do a search and you'll find it.
Try searching "  converting torque tube rear end to open rear end"  or some other combination of words similar .
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 6:40am
http://theamcforum.com/forum/rear-end-swap-5666-classic_topic11214.html

The last few pages show a couple good installations, but you might want to at least glance at all.

If you can find almost any two three speed trans shift rods (for the ends) you can bend them to work. Not all that hard to do. Just need the rods long enough, bend to clear everything. Someone probably has a pair lying around that would be close...

Modern Driveline made an adapter for the V-6 Mustang five speed, not sure if they made another run or not. Not a big seller, as you can imagine. The S-10 five speed has a better shifter location. You can put the output/shifter housing from an S-10 on any other T-5, but there is a hole that needs to be drilled in the hardened output shaft to relocate the speedo gear. Not something easily done with a hand drill, you really need a carbide bit. I'd take it to a machine shop for that.
Frank Swygert
wyrmrider View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyrmrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2017 at 10:09am
greetings
I have a couple of Statesman/ 196.5/ early 199-232 "HD "Taxi" Bellhousings which mate the T-86 instead of the T-96 if they would help
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 8:08am
Darn.. I can't recall if the T-86 uses the same pattern as the T-10 or not, I know the T-89 does as that's what the T-10 is based on (It's basically a T-89 three speed with fourth gear where reverse was, reverse moved to output housing... and full synchro). I'm pretty sure a Ford top loader (at least the 80s three speed with fourth OD) will bolt to a T-86 bell though. Would have to check depth of bell and input shaft lengths though...There may be an adapter for a T-86 or top loader to T-5, don't know...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic