TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

strut rod bushing trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spurdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strut rod bushing trouble
    Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 3:26pm
Have 66 Marlin. bought the one piece strut rod bushings from Galvins and cannot get the new bushing thru the mounting bracket hole. the threaded end of the rod mices out just a few thousands under 11/16". they are marked "Harris" 62484 do I have the right part? is there a secret to getting the bushing into the hole?
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 4:52pm
spurdude View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spurdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 6:38pm
thanks, seems I'm not alone! got them in with a heavy duty C clamp type tool with a cylinder on the back end and some grease. go slow and even. but it worked
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 6:31am
Let us know how long they last. I've never had any luck with the one piece type. Might have just been that the ones I got were too old, but I'm not sure there are any new production. There was a one piece heavy duty bushing made for Eagles in the early 80s, that might be what you're getting. Still, that would be 30 years old now...  You can use two piece bushings, how depends on if you ware willing to modify the strut rod. I think the 66 models still had the shoulder/bushing stop built into the front of the strut rod. If you have a nut instead of that shoulder it's just a bolt in. With the shoulder you have to either modify your strut rod or replace it with a later model that has the nut.

All I could find on Harris is that they still make rubber bushings. All I could find are leaf spring eye bushings, but maybe Galvins has them making one for our AMCs...

Edited by farna - Jun/19/2017 at 6:34am
Frank Swygert
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 8:48am
I used liquid dish washing soap to install mine.  I believe that grease or oil will rot the rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic