TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Interior Fabric Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Ready Made or OEM style Fabric w/ Local Shop
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [100.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Artful Dodger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artful Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interior Fabric Replacement
    Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 4:15pm
SMS sent me a one inch square sample for my Rebel.
When I put it on the seat cushion, I thought it disappeared . It is a perfecy match. A local car upholsterer did a reasonable job for a reasonable price. VERY happy with SMS, happy with installation.
67, 770, 232 Auto
nunderwier View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunderwier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 11:05pm
Thanks for your experiences. Unfortunately/fortunately I have a cinnamon domino pattern. Most expensive. Looks nice.
addic View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 7:26pm
Just got seat covers from Legendary for a 73 amx jav in blue ,took 8-9 weeks , they look great but have
not installed yet
73 401 Pierre Cardin X P1
73 401 Pierre Cardin X F3     70 X 390 4spd
69 X 401 6 spd
69 AMX 401 auto BSO
73 AMX 401 4speed pc
73 vette 427sb 5spd
73 vette convt.?
08 zx14
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 5:31pm
In my experience SMS is not slow with orders they have in stock.  And most of the AMC fabrics they have are in stock.  You can also try Original Auto Interiors in Michigan.  They also bought up some of the NOS AMC upholstery materials and their prices are comparable to SMS prices.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 5:17pm
SMS did what they said they would as to supplying NOS cloth and vinal for my 67 Ambassador. My local upholstery shop did mediocre. That may be your hardest part.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 4:27pm
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 3:18pm
Ok ,on the upholstery question. I've dealt with SMS , they bought up the original New Old Stock material , so get the exact right material. But two things , they are SLOW and it is original 40 some year old material.  Legendary on the other hand is new material, and they have kits so you can pretty much do it yourself. Down side with Legendary is the material is very close but NOT 100% correct. Example the vent air vinyl seat material is missing the vent holes.I'll qualify that the holes are there but DO NOT vent any air.  It looks pretty close but maybe 95% , which for most people is good enough for less hassle. You pays your money and you make your choice. LRDaum 
LRDaum
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 10:06am
If you have the 15-inch rally wheels you will want a 15-inch spare.   Any Mopar,AMC and many Ford wheels will fit.  You will probably want a 15x5.5 inch or 15x6 inch, but no one will be able to tell the the difference is you use an appropriately sized tire.  If you have the 14-inch rallies the choices are similar.  

If you want to exactly duplicate the pattern for your present gut, you will need to make sure a local guy can and will do it.  Check for feedback on anyone you propose to use.  Otherwise use Legendary pieces.  I have never used them and have so far just taken the SMS materials to a local guys to have my seats (Hornet buckets in a Gremlin and 1973 Javelin buckets) redone locally.  I do plan to buy the leather seats from Legendary for my 69 AMX in a few days.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
nunderwier View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunderwier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 9:24am
I acquired a 74 Javelin AMX. Got it running and doesn't look bad from a distance.

My question to you is SMS and try and find a local shop (Los Angeles/SF valley) or Legendary? Of course there are pros and cons on both sides but I am curious on what others may have done. I mean I can drive around with a torn and ripping interior but its going to have to be done when monies are available.

Also anyone have or know where I could purchase a spare rim ?  Hate to have it towed because of a flat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic