TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Installing a Manual into an Auto Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing a Manual into an Auto Eagle
    Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 7:17am
I haven't have a chance to investigate this yet, but the here is the quick low down.
I'm getting a SX/4 that a buddy bought and started to strip for Lemon's Racing.  He and his non mechanic buddies gutted the seats and carpet and such and that's where it ended.  That was years ago.  Hopefully it isn't a rotten pile now.
Anyway, it is an auto car with the 258.  I have two T-5's from Jeeps just laying around so I thought I'd throw one in.  I know that they are crap, but I'm not going to flog this thing.
Which cars should I grab parts from for the clutch linkage/pedal assembly?
Thanks for any help.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 8:49am
pretty much from another Eagle.   unless you cut and modify
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 10:05am
Unless you insist on a hydraulic clutch like the Eagle had,  you can take the entire pedal assemble,linkage, bellhousing, and other minor parts out of any straight drive Hornet or Gremlin back to 72.

Will the transfer case mounted on those Jeep T5s hook up with the front differental on the SX-4 though?

Edited by tyrodtom - Jun/14/2017 at 10:08am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2017 at 11:01pm
Is it easier to have the mechanical linkage or hydraulic one? Because I already drilled for hydraulic and mounted up the master and slave with a flex line between them. Just not sure what to do for a reservoir.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2017 at 5:36am
I think S-10 as well as some Ford (1959) P/U's used clutch master cylinders.
Disregard, you already stated you have the MC.
nightrider View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 6:18pm
Is it easier to have the mechanical linkage or hydraulic one?

There is no mechanical linkage setup for the four wheel drive cars. That area of the car is pretty tight with the axle, driveshaft, and exhaust in the area. So your stuck with the hydraulic setup. You might what to consider wrapping the exhaust in that area to keep the heat off of the slave cylinder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic