TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AOD for 327?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counsel62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AOD for 327?
    Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 11:42am
Hello. If there is a post or thread here on this topic already, I cannot find it.  And if this is the wrong spot for this post, I apologize for that too.

Is there a bolt on AOD for the AMC 287/327 V8, or an OEM or aftermarket kit to convert the BW torque tube auto trans to an AOD trans? I have no problems with the stock BW auto transmissions I have in my '59 and '65 Ambassadors, but would like to lower RPMs on the freeway like everyone else. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 5:27pm
From what I have read, there are no overdrive auto options for the 327 bell-housing pattern and TT drive.

However, my car has the standard diff ratio which gives about 28 mph/1000 rpm which is already high for a very un-aerodynamic car.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 9:33pm
Nope. 
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2017 at 10:20am
I know of two people who actually put a 700 R 4 over drive automatic transmission onto to the early AMC 287/327 V-8. HOWEVER they both made there own adopter kits and parts. So, no commercial kits are available.  I can put you in contact of one or both of the men who did this but there NOT a sure thing they build you another set of parts to do this. No a high demand to do this. BUT you have to admire there are people skilled enough to do this out of there own garage. AMC people are like that. LRDaum
LRDaum
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 5:30pm
I will look up the information I had previous. There is someone who makes his own adapters for just this conversion, and will sell you a "kit" as such. It is intensive, and requires a bit of handiwork on your part, but the adapter, flexplate, and starter work are all handled by him, or he will give you the information to take care of it yourself. I will reply soonest.
Cricket
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 5:37pm
I found it, his name is Dennis Averill. Email is averills@uniserve.com , but it has been about 2 years since I spoke to him, so he may not reply quick. I was intent on doing this with my 66 Classic just before losing my job of 33 years, and life bit me and my wife hard all at one time, so nothing became of it. Hope he can help you if you are very mechanically inclined. Like he told me, this conversion is not for the weak of heart, or weak of mechanical inclination, it takes a good bit to do, and is not just a "bolt in" type of kit, but the hard part of an adapter and flywheel/flexplate has been worked out. The rest is up to you.
Cricket
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 6:02pm
Because AM iron case Warner gear automatics are so similar to Ford FMX, I have a FMX to AOD kit listed on my website Cool but the link is mainly for inspiration.

...because not many people will use Rambler V8 in an open driveshaft application...

which is the main hang up; trans length and fabbing up a correct AMC Torque Tube flange.

(Cricket may have link to man for that?)

As far as I know, Gear Vendors is the place to contact (XRV8 RP page has link to them also)
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

which is the main hang up; trans length and fabbing up a correct AMC Torque Tube flange.

(Cricket may have link to man for that?)

Gus has that covered, too. He made an adapter to put on the tailshaft of a 700R4 from a 4.3 GMC van if not converting to an open driveline (it used a torque arm mount and was short enough to work in the space under the car with all the adapters), and it bolted to the torque tube, and he also made a double joint slip joint, to make the torque tube shaft work with the output from the transmission. Most of it was prototyped, but it looked great, and allows you to keep the torque tube and current rearend. I am not sure if he made "many", but he is a wealth of knowledge. If he answers your email, he may give you his phone number. It took me a couple emails to get it, thus the reason I cannot just give it out, I think that is going to be his decision. He spends 1/2 the year at home in Canada, and the other 1/2 in Az. I hope you get satisfaction, and if so, post up results.
Cricket
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 3:11pm
Gus Averill is one of the two people who made there kits for this. The other is Bob Hull. Both very smart people and experts on the early AMC V-8. Let me know  if you have any trouble contacting Gus. I don't have Bob Hull's contact information handy , but I do have Gus' . LRDaum
LRDaum
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

Gus Averill is one of the two people who made there kits for this. The other is Bob Hull. Both very smart people and experts on the early AMC V-8. Let me know  if you have any trouble contacting Gus. I don't have Bob Hull's contact information handy , but I do have Gus' . LRDaum

Yep, same here, I just do not wish to give out his number without his permission. One of us can call him first, if you want to see if he is available. Good luck with your project.
Cricket
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic