TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AOD for 327?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AOD for 327?
    Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 6:35am
http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-aod/119-aod-adapter-plate.html

"A special adaptor plate which mounts to the pump and will accept all FMX and COM bell housings. Requires removal of bell housing from AOD case and a special height 10" diameter forged non lock up torque converter. Will not work with original 12" torque converters. Call for details."  $300 + tax (if applicable -- in Texas)

I wondered how you were doing this! Nice job. $650 torque converter puts a big dent in the budget though... right at $1000 and you still need an AOD trans and mods to the TT or change the rear suspension. I understand the costs, but not many are going to go to that expense. Still, it's a good option if you plan on building a driver. Most people who go that far (swap trans and rear suspension) will consider a complete engine trans swap at that cost level though. It's a better option for 67-71 models with open drive -- just a driveshaft mod is pretty cheap and easy.
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 10:53pm
A 327 with a 700R4 or it's shorter 2004R cousin and maybe a Ford 9" or centered 8.8 would be pretty neat. Ingenuity and willingness to make these cars better and keep them on the road is why I LOVE the AMC community and this forum in particular.

Good luck with your project if you decide to give it a go!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 4:59pm
If all you need is reduced rpm on hiway, taller rear tires is the easiest way to do it.

http://www.omix-ada-intl.com/gear-ratio-vs-tire-size.asp

I have the link on my website for the FMX to AOD kit.

(Ford FMX bolt pattern is just like AM Warner Gear iron case auto trans units)

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jun/20/2017 at 5:17pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 6:19am
I had several e-mail exhanges with Gus a couple years ago. He said due to costs there wasn't a lot of interest in kits. I encouraged him to offer the trans adapter alone, as many would find it less intimidating to change the rear axle/suspension out and use an open drive rather than keep the torque tube. The TT adapter was of course the more complicated part to make, the trans adapter relatively easy. No issues with trans length without the TT, of course, so any GM trans could be used.

Although the Ford AOD might be somewhat related to the FMX/Borg-Warener autos, it doesn't have a separate bell housing, so bolting to a BW bell isn't a possibility. Would be nice if it was! But it should be as good as any of the GM auto OD trannys... just need an adapter made.

Edited by farna - Jun/19/2017 at 6:26am
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 6:07am
I think there are several of us who would like to learn about these adapters.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

Gus Averill is one of the two people who made there kits for this. The other is Bob Hull. Both very smart people and experts on the early AMC V-8. Let me know  if you have any trouble contacting Gus. I don't have Bob Hull's contact information handy , but I do have Gus' . LRDaum

Yep, same here, I just do not wish to give out his number without his permission. One of us can call him first, if you want to see if he is available. Good luck with your project.
Cricket
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 3:11pm
Gus Averill is one of the two people who made there kits for this. The other is Bob Hull. Both very smart people and experts on the early AMC V-8. Let me know  if you have any trouble contacting Gus. I don't have Bob Hull's contact information handy , but I do have Gus' . LRDaum
LRDaum
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

which is the main hang up; trans length and fabbing up a correct AMC Torque Tube flange.

(Cricket may have link to man for that?)

Gus has that covered, too. He made an adapter to put on the tailshaft of a 700R4 from a 4.3 GMC van if not converting to an open driveline (it used a torque arm mount and was short enough to work in the space under the car with all the adapters), and it bolted to the torque tube, and he also made a double joint slip joint, to make the torque tube shaft work with the output from the transmission. Most of it was prototyped, but it looked great, and allows you to keep the torque tube and current rearend. I am not sure if he made "many", but he is a wealth of knowledge. If he answers your email, he may give you his phone number. It took me a couple emails to get it, thus the reason I cannot just give it out, I think that is going to be his decision. He spends 1/2 the year at home in Canada, and the other 1/2 in Az. I hope you get satisfaction, and if so, post up results.
Cricket
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 6:02pm
Because AM iron case Warner gear automatics are so similar to Ford FMX, I have a FMX to AOD kit listed on my website Cool but the link is mainly for inspiration.

...because not many people will use Rambler V8 in an open driveshaft application...

which is the main hang up; trans length and fabbing up a correct AMC Torque Tube flange.

(Cricket may have link to man for that?)

As far as I know, Gear Vendors is the place to contact (XRV8 RP page has link to them also)
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 5:37pm
I found it, his name is Dennis Averill. Email is averills@uniserve.com , but it has been about 2 years since I spoke to him, so he may not reply quick. I was intent on doing this with my 66 Classic just before losing my job of 33 years, and life bit me and my wife hard all at one time, so nothing became of it. Hope he can help you if you are very mechanically inclined. Like he told me, this conversion is not for the weak of heart, or weak of mechanical inclination, it takes a good bit to do, and is not just a "bolt in" type of kit, but the hard part of an adapter and flywheel/flexplate has been worked out. The rest is up to you.
Cricket
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic