TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

Looking good! Hopefully I'll see you at the show in a couple weeks!

Thanks Dan.  Yes, it's my plan to make the two hour drive down to the show in the Javelin.  I don't think I've taken a trip longer then 20 miles since I bought it last year!

I've finished painting everything now except the trunk lid and the front cowl.  I might get to the cowl before the show, but the trunk lid will have to wait.  I've got a couple boo boos-- which is pretty much what happens when you paint outside-- but overall I'm pleased with how it's turning out.

Never let anyone tell you you can't polish orange peel out of metallic.  You can, but only if it's not too bad. Ask me how I know, lol.

The lines on the hood are reflections from the shade cloth that the car is sitting under.

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 5:18pm
Put a hitch on the back and tow the AMX to Auburn!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 5:27pm
I think that color has grown on you... after you have been painting and seeing how much better it is than when purchased, you have gotten attached to how it looks now.

Even though you had some trials with paint and vinyl installation, what time you put into it wasn't near as much as most would expect in such a find.

You still came out on top no matter how you slice it. Especially now these days with barn finds and estate sales.

PS... for some reason at the back quarter window, the section for the vinyl top trim, doesn't seem noticeable. Maybe you did not install them yet?

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/05/2018 at 5:30pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 9:41pm

The vinyl top trim is there. it's just hidden by the drip rail due to the angle of the photograph.

The metallic brown has definitely grown on me.  It looks pretty good in the sun, but to me it still looks like a turd in the shade.  The thing I like about it though is that it's such an early '70s color, and I get a LOT of comments on the car wherever I go... as much as my BBO AMX that cost me ten times as much, lol.

I enjoy tinkering on these old cars, and I especially enjoy driving them.  It's an odd thing I can't explain, as the cheapest Hyundai you can buy today would be a much nicer car to drive.  I guess most of us here suffer from this affliction, eh?

Edited by CamJam - Apr/06/2018 at 9:42am

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 5:08am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

The vinyl top trim is there. it's just hidden by the drip rail due to the angle of the photograph.

The metallic brown has definitely grown on me.  It looks pretty good in the sun, but to me it still looks like a turd in the shade.  The thing I like about it though is that it's such an early '70s color, and I get a LOT of comments on the car wherever I go... as much as my BBO AMX that cost me ten times as much, lol.

I enjoy tinkering on these old cars, and I especially enjoy driving them.  It's an odd thing I can't explain, as the cheapest Hyundai you can buy today would be a much nice car to drive.  I guess most of us here suffer from this affliction, eh?

To me an old early 70s and even a 60s car can't compare to any new car in driving characteristics. It's all about proportion, and how the driver feels in the seat, along with feedback.

Having mostly older cars through my life, I feel more comfortable in my 73 Javelin than many other newer cars. Mostly because of my size. Though I am more in tune with basics of driving, than all the electronic gizmos that assist in driving.

Though, a quite many are wanting to do bolt on mods to modernise their older car to make it feel more modern on the road. Usually it's the ones that love to drive them as much as they can.

I too had the same talk with my 73 Javelin. Still one of the things about later Javelins is the body style. Yet the paint option, even on a basic Javelin gets a complement time or two.

Oddly enough your full length trim has grown on me, can't say swapping it out for rally stripe would be my choice any more. I think the overall combo has set in my mind about your car.

Though, I am a but jealous 71 did not have much pizzazz with its option as other years. Would love to have a 72 or 73 rally stripe on my car when done, but it just would not fit for the year body. It would be an eye sore for thé purists. Hehehehehehehehehe!

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 6:38am
Looking great, keep up the good work. And screw the purest if you want to stripe on it put a stripe on it. LOL
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 9:47am

I wouldn't mind a "C" stripe, I just don't want to have to deal with plugging the holes left with the trim removed.  If I was going to do that it would have been when I painted it, and that ship has sailed as they say. 

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 11:30pm

Back from Auburn with the AMX, so time to get back to work on the Javelin.  So far this year I've painted the Javelin and the Opel GT, put a T5 5-speed into the Opel and towed the AMX to Auburn and back.  I have plans to put an AW4 into the Javelin-- took one out of a 2WD '94 Cherokee earlier this year-- but had decided to put that off until after Auburn.  I must admit now to having second thoughts, as the original 998 is working fine, but the O/D gear made such a difference in the enjoyment of driving the Opel on the highway that I know it will be a big improvement for the Javvy too.

My biggest concern has been the shifter, but after looking things over closely I think the AW4 cable arrangement will make it about as painless as possible.  The only problem will likely be the indexing-- meaning I might have to have a new plastic overlay made for the console to show the gear positions-- but I really won't know until I get it installed.  Both transmissions have the same number of gear selector positions, so it just might work out.  Both transmissions also have the gear selector lever on the same side of the transmission, so it's mostly a matter of replacing the metal linkage rods with the AW4's cable.

Otherwise, I'll mostly be following Rick's (SC397) sticky in the transmission section.  His car was a '70 but there shouldn't be too much difference.

So, maybe I'll start to tackle this next week.  In the meantime, I had some speakers left over from when I upgraded the stereo in my Ford Focus ST, so I put them into the unused speaker holes on the rear package tray of the Javelin and added a bluetooth amp I bought off Amazon.  For about $30 I got a system that doesn't sound bad at all, and allows me to play tunes via bluetooth from my Android tablet.  I like how it turned out, so I bought another bluetooth amp and some speakers for the Opel too. Thumbs Up

Edited by CamJam - Jul/19/2018 at 12:46am

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 5:07pm

First thing I needed to do was figure out my rear axle ratio.  I assumed I probably had the 2.87 ratio, which was standard on the 304 automatics, but I spun a tire and counted the driveshaft revolutions and I actually have the optional 3.15 ratio!  That's great news, as with the AW4's .75 OD 4th gear and my 235/60R14 tires that equates to 2,372 rpm at our Arizona 75 mph freeway speed limit. That's an 800 rpm drop from what I turn now.   1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are a little lower than the original 998, so it should give me better acceleration in addition to better highway fuel economy.

Since the AW4 has the AMC bolt pattern, no adapter is needed. The length of the AW4 seems to be within 1/2" of the 998, so there's a chance I might be able to use the existing driveshaft.  I won't know for sure until I get everything installed, but that would be a real bonus if it works out.

The Jeep transmission controller is a standalone unit, so it's just a matter of wiring it up and finding a place to mount it.

All in all, this looks to be about the perfect transmission for this application. 

Edited by CamJam - Jul/14/2018 at 5:24pm

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 11:18pm
Hey, you got that car looking good -way to go!

I really like the 'period correct' bronze paint with the tan top & interior.

More power to you putting the AW4 in there.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 34>
  Share Topic